Author Topic: Bamboo Splinters  (Read 619 times)

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Bamboo Splinters
« on: March 31, 2010, 01:21:00 AM »
I love building BBO Bow's. But have had several Bow's that the Boo splintered up on the back. I taper my boo from 1/8th at the riser to 1/16th at the tips. I use Maso Boo.

Have any of you had similar problems and how do you do your boo? How do you remove the rhine? I use a scraper. Do you think thicker boo is better than thinner boo? What about moisture content? When not working on a bow, I keep it in the drying box at 92 degrees till I can get back to it.

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bamboo Splinters
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 08:42:00 AM »
I know some people leave the nodes alone, but I reduce them slightly, without flattening them, like Dean describes in his video. Pretty much just enough to smooth them over a bit. Beyond that, you only need to remove enough of the waxy rind to give yourself something to take stain and/or finish. I use one of those thin spongy sanding pads more than anything. It takes longer, but you have to sand the tiny ridges down anyway after a scraper. I use progressively finer grits as I go, and quit when the surface is just dull and feels smooth everywhere. Kinda like sanding drywall joints, when you think you're getting close, you may have just gone too far.
Got wood? - Tom

Online Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 09:16:00 AM »
There is good bamboo and bad bamboo. The bad stuff splinters on the back.

I had back splinters from Frank's bamboo, great luck, no problems with Wingnut's bamboo and flawless performance with local backyard bamboo.

I would seek out another source for bamboo than what you are using.

I went to my source yesterday and bought 3 complete culms for a very reasonable price.
According to the guy who has the patch it is giant timber bamboo.

Here is what I brought home. The distance between nodes in incredible. Most of the bamboo backed osage bows I have out in other peoples hands is backed with this bamboo.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 12:48:00 AM »
Eric, does that Boo get lighter after you take of the rhine?

Offline Bruce Martin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 06:06:00 AM »
Eric, I assume this bamboo is cut green. Can you give some guidelines as to how to cure it before it can be used? I had some just like that but it cracked right at the nodes (which were left alone). I had done some bend tests with it before using and it had great power fibers, so I was disappointed with the failure at the nodes. I had split it green and cured it in a warm greenhouse, but maybe I should have just put it away and waited.

Online Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 05:54:00 PM »
Roy, This is green, fresh cut bamboo. It will turn tan as it dries.

Bruce, I have had problems quick drying bamboo as well and take it slow now. Cracks at the nodes aren't a real problem, super glue them and use your bamboo.

I am trying something new on this batch of bamboo. I punched out the inner nodes with a hoe handle and am going to let it dry in trunk form.

Offline tradbower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 07:39:00 AM »
Roy
  Iam haveing the same problem. Backs cracking and splintering.
  The last 3 bows, I have built broke on me,well into the building process. I have 9 more pieces of boo left from this order, I hope the rest will hold up. I use a scraper to take off rhine. Then sand litley with 220 .
"Never to old to learn something new"

Offline Longbow 01

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 09:16:00 AM »
How much are yall paying for boo trunks that size?  i want to try my hand at a boo bow and wanted to know a ball park price for the boo
Mark Wood
Hunting the hardway!!With sticks and Rocks!!(and maybe a little steel and glue)

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 11:32:00 AM »
Each type of belly wood is slightly different from the other, but igf you keep the thickness about 1/3 boo and 2/3 wood you should be good.
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline Bruce Martin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2010, 05:58:00 PM »
Thanks Eric, I'll give it another try. It had real potential with the power fibers.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©