Author Topic: Repairing Fiberglass Chip in Limb  (Read 1181 times)

Offline Tricky Lugnuts

• Trad Bowhunter
Repairing Fiberglass Chip in Limb
« on: March 31, 2010, 11:24:00 AM »
Hi everyone. New member here from Brown County, Indiana looking for some recurve repair help...

I bought a new Martin Mamba (50#) the other week and I absolutely love it...

So much so that I accidentally dropped the bow taking it out of my car yesterday after a day of target shooting!

I know, I know. I feel like quite the idiot already. And from now on my bow will remain in its sock whenever I am not shooting it. That includes when it is in transport.

Anyways, the bow fell on the gravel lot in front of my apartment, taking a few small chips out of the fiberglass lamination on the front of the bow. The chips are on the points just above and just below the sight window in the riser.

My new bow is visibly damaged, but it appears that the damage is limited to several small chips in the "gel coat" of the fiberglass.

I'm looking for some way to repair this damage to like new condition, hopefully without having to buy another bow!

I want to make sure I accurately replicate the satin black finish on this part of the bow and, most importantly, make sure that there is no permanent, irreparable, or serious damage done to my new, beloved and battered bow.

Thanks in advance for any and all help. There is a great wealth of knowledge on this site!

Offline walkabout

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Repairing Fiberglass Chip in Limb
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 11:50:00 AM »
you could probably spray some sort of poly over the chips and blend it into the existing finish.alot of people also use superglue to repair fiberglass, depending on how bad it is.pics would help alot so we can see what kind of damage and what finish would work best.
Richard

Offline Tricky Lugnuts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 12:24:00 PM »
Thanks - I'll try and post up a few pictures shortly...

Offline Tricky Lugnuts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 02:16:00 PM »

Offline Tricky Lugnuts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 02:20:00 PM »
Here come some photos - hopefully - if I can get this to work!

Let's see if this works!   photo bucket

Offline Tricky Lugnuts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 02:23:00 PM »
Alright. It seems to be working. Here's another photo of the damage:

photo bucket

Offline Tricky Lugnuts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 02:25:00 PM »
Another:

photo bucket

Offline Tricky Lugnuts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 02:27:00 PM »
Last one I've got. Hope these help!

photo bucket

Offline walkabout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010, 03:24:00 PM »
quick and easy fix would be a few drops of superglue. alternative method would be to use a spray poly, i dont think it would matter what kind probably just your preference. you could also email or call martin and ask what they reccomend but i think that would just take more time and maybe not get an answer that would be very easy to do,lol. if you decide to use poly just tape off around the chips and feather the spray into the surrounding area. make sure to clean it first to keep the new finish from getting cloudy with dust, etc. acetone or nail polish remover works for this.
Richard

Offline Tricky Lugnuts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2010, 03:43:00 PM »
Thanks for the feedback!

By "poly," do you mean some sort of polyurethane in a spray can?

I guess then I should:

1. Lightly sand the chips to get rid of loose/chipped edges of the existing finish;
2. tape off the area;
3. feather in the repair with some fine-grit sandpaper...

Do you have any recommended products for this sort of thing? Do you know if anyone who makes a good satin finish polyurethane spray. I'd really like to match the finish as closely as I can.

Thanks again!

Offline Trux Turning

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2010, 03:49:00 PM »
Take some sand paper (120+ grit will work) and lightly sand those chipped spots smooth and rounded over- you should be able to blend them right in and not sand into the riser wood. For the finish you can use either a wipe on/spray on poly or deft spray on lacquer would work well. It will look good as new.

Offline Tricky Lugnuts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2010, 04:09:00 PM »
Thanks!

After some target practice tonight, I'll get on it and try to post some pictures to show how it all turned out... At least if I'm not too embarrassed of my attempted repairs!

Offline walkabout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2010, 04:29:00 PM »
yep i meant polyurethane. make sure like i said to clean with some acetone and let it flash before you spray(30 mins) then just spray.
Richard

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©