Author Topic: Issues with glueing phenol  (Read 257 times)

Offline Swissbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Issues with glueing phenol
« on: April 04, 2010, 05:34:00 AM »
I had some issues with glueing phenol lately. Some of the phenol tips came off and I also had troubles with an overlay and an accent stripe in a riser. The surface of the phenol that came off looked as if there was no glue on it at all. Is there a special type of glue or a certain technique that has to be used when glueing phenol ?
Before glueing it up I did use 60 sandpaper to rough it up, cleaned it with  acetone and glued it up with standard epoxy.

----------
Andy

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Issues with glueing phenol
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 05:38:00 AM »
There are enough different types of phenolic to boggle my mind.  Maybe you found some that is not laminate compatible?
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline 7eyes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 11:37:00 PM »
The Phenolic will soak up the glue. There is paper, linen, and canvas base Phenolic. If fiberglass is used it is called G 10. If you are using the fine linen Phenolic, let it set for a moment with lots of epoxy before connecting. Canvas phenolic even soaks more up. Also, too much clamping pressure can squeeze all the glue out.

Offline Swissbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 02:16:00 AM »
Thx guys, I can see the problem now. Not enough time to let it soak in and to much clamping pressure. Will do better the next time.

----------
Andy

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©