Author Topic: skin under glass  (Read 407 times)

Offline jcrafferty

• Trad Bowhunter
skin under glass
« on: April 06, 2010, 07:58:00 AM »
Would like to know if any of you have put snake skin under the glass or ever seen it done?

Offline walkabout

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: skin under glass
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 08:20:00 AM »
ive seen them put over but not under. i dont know if its possible, if it were it would take alot of prep work. if you use superglue or tung oil you can get skins smooth like glass,some of the best results come from darker colors underneath.
Richard

Offline Jason Scott

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 02:27:00 PM »
I would be afraid to do that. There is too much tension under the back glass to wood mating surface to risk it. That mating spot between back glass and the first wood lam has the strongest sheer forces in the limb. Never seen it done. Swissbow put some fabric under his back glass on a recent recurve and it has held so far. What he did is basically a thin layer of homemade micarta but I don't think a skin would give the same strength with a complete soaking penatration of the glue. seems like it would cause separation.

Offline strungstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 04:23:00 PM »
The glue line would probably hold and the skin itself would sheer.  I've had this hapen with a porous piece of stained infused wood inlay.

Offline jcrafferty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 06:05:00 PM »
Thanks guys, kinda what I thought. looks like on the outside it is!! might have finishing questions later, thanks again John

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©