Author Topic: Quick Fix for Bingham Jig  (Read 490 times)

Offline muskiedaze

• Trad Bowhunter
Quick Fix for Bingham Jig
« on: April 06, 2010, 02:55:00 PM »
I built my first three take-down recurves recently. Unfortunatly the scribe mark on one side of my new binghams jig was 3/64's off center.  Pretty lousy craftmanship if you ask me. The drill holes were accurate. To continue useing the jig for my 2nd bow,what I did was to make equal thickness shims to place on either side of the the riser or limbs prior to clamping and drilling. This  centers the jig more accurately than useing the scribe marks even if the jig was properly made because there's nothing to line up. Some day I'll make my own jig from aluminum and drill bushings. BTW, some types of aluminum can be machined with woodworking tools if a lubricant is used.  John

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Quick Fix for Bingham Jig
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 04:27:00 PM »
All I know about the jig I got from binghams is if it is not lined up perfectly even off very slightly, by the time  you get to the tips they can be off alot. I am having a machinist make me up a jig that I can use better.
US ARMY 1984-1988

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Quick Fix for Bingham Jig
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 08:31:00 PM »
The design leaves a lot to be desired. The screws are hardly a precision adjustment. I'd like to see a jig made that has micrometer like adjustments.
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©