Author Topic: self bow follow along  (Read 786 times)

Offline Pennsyltuckey pete

• Trad Bowhunter
self bow follow along
« on: April 07, 2010, 09:07:00 PM »
Recently I have been working on laminated fiberglass bows.  Yesterday I got the itch to go back to my bow building roots and start a good old fashion white wood self bow.

I probably have 20 or so hickory staves that are at least 3 years dry so I grabbed a nice straight one. Within 30 minutes I had mostly bow left in the piece of wood and had to quit for the night.  While I was working on it today i figured I should snap a few pics and do a "follow along" mostly just pics. I will be happy to answer any questions.

this is about an hour in to the project.  Meet my two favorite tools for wood removal at this point. Surfoam plane and a farriers rasp.  I really need to remember to wear gloves when I use that thing more than a few minutes.

the bow stands 66 inches tall.  Has a slight natural reflex.  at this point it is about 5/8 thick at the fade and tapers to about 3/8.  The limbs are 2 inches wide tapering the last 14 inches.  I am aiming for a finished 50# to 55# at 29 inches draw.

up to this point I leave the cambium on the back of the bow as protection.  here you can just start to see the wood. I use a draw knife or spoke shave to remove cambium.

and now it is tiller time!

first pull

and after a little more wood removal.

In the above pic I see the start of a hing on the left limb right at the fade, then a flat spot and the hint of a second hinge.  The right side looks pretty good. IMO.
pete
Love one woman, Many Bows

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: self bow follow along
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 10:46:00 PM »
Coming along nicely, Pete.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 11:21:00 PM »
I would be careful of that weak spot about 6" in from the left tip. Those kind of places are bad to hing when you go to the short string.

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 04:51:00 AM »
Keep the pics coming! Looking good!
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 02:53:00 PM »
Originally posted by Eric Krewson:
I would be careful of that weak spot about 6" in from the left tip. Those kind of places are bad to hing when you go to the short string.
That is the second hinge that I was talkin about.  I know what you mean.  They are so easy to miss at a quick glance so you just taper the entire limb and bang.  Kids bow.  THis is still way heavy so I should be ok but thanks for the second pair of eyes and confirmation.

pete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 06:05:00 PM »
Well I just got back from a hog hunting trip in FL and had a little time today after work to move this forward.

It is pulling 50# here and the draw is about 14 inches on the long string.

Time to get out the short string and start the real work.

pete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 02:58:00 PM »
here is the bow with a long string giving a 6" brace height strung.

drawn to 28 inches at 57#

My goal is to end at 50- 52# at 28" after being shot in.   The bow is 66" long 64" string grove to string grove.  Top limb is on the right.
What do ya see?  I have been looking at the bow so much I have become blind.  I am thinking about lightening the bottom (Left limb) on the inside  1/3 just a touch.

pete

Offline gudspelr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 03:31:00 PM »
Don't know much anything about selfbows other than what I've read here, but great job   :thumbsup:  

Looks good and can't wait to see it when you're done.

Jeremy
"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
- William Morris

Craftsmen strive to make their products both.

Offline bigcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 04:16:00 PM »
From the untrained newbie eye like myself, I would say you need to get more bending from the fades to 6" out.  Looks to be stacking some with the string angle.  But again, thats the untrained eye of mine.  I love to guess this stuff and then see the experts opinion.

Offline arrowslinger22

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010, 09:51:00 PM »
Hmm, I'd say that you're right about the left limb.  Besides that, the right limb is stiff in the fades to around 6-7 inches.  I'd just leave and work on the left if it was mine and I wanted 50#,  If you try to correct the right limb, you'll lose quite a bit of weight balancing the tiller again.
Only when the last tree has died
and the last river been poisoned
and the last fish been caught
will we realize that we cannot eat money

Offline walkabout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2010, 02:26:00 AM »
i agree the left limb looks a little stiff out of the fades. so does the right, and im not sure how much weight youd lose trying to even it again. ive seen alot worse tillers end up just fine so its your call. great build along.
Richard

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2010, 10:18:00 AM »
If it were me I would never pull it past the desired draw weight during tillering. If I wanted 50#s I would only pull it to 50 until I go to my draw length. That being said it looks like you need to work on the fades out to about 6" or 7" I don't think you will lose that much weight taking more off there. Go slow
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2010, 02:17:00 PM »
Ranger,  

I have been playing that game both ways with the wights. It seems with my hickory bows i do best if  I take it to about 5# heavy and then shoot it in. After about 200 shots they always seem to  loose some weight. After that I tiller the last little bit out.  I never draw over the target weight till the last inch.  The bow is moving out of the fades but I do agree I should loose a little bit there. I have a few # left to take out so I will continue a bit of tillering. Thanks for the eyeballs on the tiller.   Any other Ideas?

pete

Offline walkabout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2010, 03:04:00 PM »
left limb toward the tip looks a little stiff too, i keep mine stiff for 5 inches of the tip but the area just before should be bending smoothly too, if you have a tillering block doohickey or even a 4 inch block check it there to see if its stiff. shouldnt take much to get it bending, maybe even a little sanding rather than scraping.
Richard

Offline TheBronzeAge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2010, 03:55:00 PM »
Question from a total newbie who got handed a hickory blank: for 50lb draw about how thick (back to belly) would you expect the limbs to be?

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2010, 05:31:00 PM »
As far as the thickness to draw weight question the answer is something like, "that depends on how wide you make the limbs, how long the bow is and what is the taper to the tip?"  The wider the limbs are the thinner they will be.  this bow is about 11/32 at the tip and just under 5/8 near the end of the fade.  These measurements were taken from the crown of the back to the flat of the belly. Not the sides of the limb.   The limbs are 2" wide and start tapering 16 inches from the tip.  Not the sides of the limb.

I will touch the tips a little after I do the fades. I got involved in a different bow project so Keep the input coming.  I will hit this one tonight though.

pete

Offline bigcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2010, 05:37:00 PM »
Originally posted by Pennsyltuckey pete:
Ranger,  

I have been playing that game both ways with the wights. It seems with my hickory bows i do best if  I take it to about 5# heavy and then shoot it in. After about 200 shots they always seem to  loose some weight. After that I tiller the last little bit out.  I never draw over the target weight till the last inch.  The bow is moving out of the fades but I do agree I should loose a little bit there. I have a few # left to take out so I will continue a bit of tillering. Thanks for the eyeballs on the tiller.   Any other Ideas?

pete
thats a good plan I plan to start using.  I am getting tired of tillering a bow and shooting it about 100 shots and developing problems or micro hinges.  I also started sweating the bow a few hours too before serious tillering.  This seemed to keep things more stable.

Offline David Holt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2010, 07:08:00 PM »
The left limb definately looks a little bit stiffer.  You'd have to go really slowly in the fades or end up playing the left limb/right limb tillering game I seem to be great at   :knothead:  .  I haven't had the chance to try it yet but I read in the TBB 4 that tillering from the sides of the limb take less weight and with 2" at the fades you have a little room to spare IMHO.
HMC(SS/SW) David Holt
Submarine Force Independent Duty Corpsman
HOO-YAH

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2010, 07:15:00 PM »
Good stuff Pete. Looks like a great bow.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2010, 03:21:00 PM »
I like to get that near handle wood moving a bit  more. Jawge

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©