Author Topic: Well I guess were changing trails  (Read 527 times)

Offline Bow-cephus

• Trad Bowhunter
Well I guess were changing trails
« on: April 11, 2010, 11:10:00 AM »
Well guys my dad's birthday is June 11 I had him a bow made and was pretty excited about it! Its all hickory and only two pieces. However I formed the riser like a modern riser (shelf, window, etc) and a couple little conversations today revieled he doesn't like this kind but instead likes the old (I guess would be English) handles that are more likely found on a self bow.

SO I am makin another (it can be a little late as he doesn't know its what he's getting) I would like to make it out of a piece with a single backing strip, I've got a piece of Hich that is only about 64 inches long but 8 inces wide. How much of a problem would it be to make my backing strip out of two pieces? and What should I use as a belly??????????

Thanks Guys!!  :knothead:    :campfire:    :coffee:    :coffee:
Mathew 17:20-21

Offline yewsage

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Well I guess were changing trails
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 11:37:00 AM »
make him a 64" hickory-backed hickory bow.  easy.  Make your limbs 1 7/8 wide.  Cut your board into four of those.  Then saw one of the pieces into lamination strips.  

Then, tiller the bow without the backing strip until it's floor tillered and bending smoothly.  After that, you laminate the backing in "perry reflex" and you're good to tiller.
making earth a better place, one bow at a time

Offline yewsage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 11:50:00 AM »
i say make them this wide just for ease math and to prevent there being a useless stick left over at the end.  You'll end up reducing their width as part of the tillering process.

Offline Bow-cephus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 11:51:00 AM »
Thanks I may do that also was thinking about a handle take down with two pieces of the hick??

Offline yewsage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 12:04:00 PM »
well, that i've never done, but giv'er man

Offline walkabout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 12:10:00 PM »
ive never built a takedown but id guess youd build and tiller it, then cut it through the handle and install the takedown sleeve or hinge. hickory backed hickory will be a good bow, just be sure your backing has good grain.maybe im not certain if youd need to chase a ring or not on the backing, im guessing as long as theres no runoffs itll be ok.
Richard

Offline Bow-cephus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 01:06:00 PM »
Ok thanks and yeah thats what I was thinking on the take down too I would like a way to take two seperate pieces, combine with take down system, then tiller

Offline walkabout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2010, 01:43:00 PM »
you might be able to do that, but you would have to ensure that the fitting was tight. id be scared of it stressing the joint when on the tillering tree, and not only that it wouldnt be flat and sit very well in the tree. try some practice runs with a sleeve and fitting scrap pieces to it without any play in them at all, and if you can get it then you might be ok. any play in where the pieces join will mess with how it tillers and be bad for the joining sleeve.
Richard

Offline Bow-cephus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2010, 09:45:00 PM »
Ok thanks guys I'll give it a shot

Offline Brent Hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2010, 06:43:00 AM »
I just did a takedown sleave from 3r using the tutorial on takedown sleaves written by one of our own and love the TD system.  Go slow and follow the instructions given in the tutorial (no instructions are sent by 3r) and it should work.   I haven't tillered the stave yet but planned in marking exactly here on the sleeve and tiller tree where the 2 points should meet to prevent problems with roving tillering.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©