Author Topic: Epoxy????  (Read 1307 times)

Offline Trick

• Trad Bowhunter
Epoxy????
« on: April 11, 2010, 02:04:00 PM »
I'm in the process of getting started making longbows for my 4 sons and myself and I have some questions on epoxies.

Is smooth-on my best choice?

On laminating risers, do I use the same epoxy as limb laminations?

Do I cure risers the same time and temperature as the rest of the bow or do I risk the riser coming apart during the glue up?

I'm just now getting the shop (garage) set up and these are questions I had before I buy anything.

Offline Sharp Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Epoxy????
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 02:17:00 PM »
I've just started making bows myself and smooth-on is what I used for riser and limbs with no problems. I would recommend curing in a heat box as well. Tony

Online jess stuart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 05:02:00 PM »
Sharp Shooter offers good advice.  Smooth on is the way to go, best of the two or three types I have used in the past.  Wouldn't even consider anything other than smooth on.  I have used the same temp for both the riser and the limbs, without problem in the past.  I usually use different temps. now too much heat can cause wood to become to dry and check.

Offline yewsage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 07:09:00 PM »
i use G2.  you don't need a heat box at all.  seems to last forever.
making earth a better place, one bow at a time

Offline Trick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 08:42:00 PM »
Thanks guys.

Yewsage,
where do you get that G2?

I would like to hear more about it first, though.  I'm really wanting to go with "time proven" stuff (no offense meant).

Patrick

Offline Innocente

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 10:13:00 AM »
is this the g2 you refer to?
 http://www.adhesive.com/G2-glue

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 11:27:00 AM »
I have used smooth on for 7 glass bows, no problems. I think Black Widow uses Versamid??(spelling) for epoxy in their bows. I am going to keep using the smooth on since it seems to be the industry standard and kennym sells it..

Offline Jason Jelinek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 12:45:00 PM »
I've used Smooth-On and G2 and prefer to use G2.  Smooth-On feels really thick.  They will both make a bow.

Offline soopernate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 12:58:00 PM »
I used G2 (I only know of Lee Valley Tools as for distributors) and have so far been pretty satisfied with it.  I have only glued up a kids bow and some knife handles with it but it seems to do the job allright. I would try smooth on if I had an oven but I don't and G2 seems to work just fine.
I humbly follow in the learned footsteps of those who precede me.

Offline John Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2010, 01:57:00 PM »
I noticed the interest in G2 from Innocente's link. However, our G2 (the one linked) is not an epoxy, so it must be another company's G2 that was intended. Just wanted to clear up any confusion.

We do manufacture and sell several epoxies  http://www.adhesive.com/type-epoxy  and from a quick look at the smooth on one referenced, I'd suggest a look at our E5 Epoxy  http://www.adhesive.com/E5-epoxy

I have not used our epoxies for bow repair. But always glad to learn of additional uses.

John Roberts
GM, SmartAdhesives

Offline Innocente

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2010, 03:05:00 PM »
huh...that's news to me, i didn't realize a company can follow traffic back to a referring site.  

the world gets a little smaller every day.

Offline Jason Jelinek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2010, 04:14:00 PM »
You can also use G2 in an oven.  The directions state the cure time for various tempeatures or at least a formula to figure out the cure time.

Offline Trick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2010, 06:27:00 AM »
Does Lee Valley Tools have a web site? I'm going to have the oven built here shortly so I will probably start with smooth on, but if John Roberts wants to send me some E5 to test????.

Thanks guys all info is a great help.

Patrick

Offline Jason Scott

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2010, 09:16:00 AM »

Offline Jason Scott

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2010, 10:03:00 AM »
Are you guys using the Lee Valley G2 epoxy on fiberglass or all wood laminate bows?

Offline soopernate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2010, 02:52:00 PM »
YES!
I humbly follow in the learned footsteps of those who precede me.

Offline Swissbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2010, 05:39:00 PM »
I use standard type L from the German company r&g. It's mainly used in construction of glider planes and boats and it cures very well at room temperature ( have you ever tried to put a glider plane into a heat box ?!?!?! ).

Here's a list of all the distributors. You can find USA almost at the end of the list.

http://download.r-g.de/rg_fachhaendler.pdf

----------
Andy

Offline Trick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2010, 10:10:00 PM »
Thanks Jason.

Have you ever used it to make bows??

Offline ChristopherO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2010, 01:45:00 PM »
John Roberts,
(incase you check back in)
Thanks for the imput.  The problem is, though, that we are mainly small time users of Smooth On, G2, or similar epoxies.  The Quarts of A&B Smooth On only cost $50.00+/- where as your E5 was $70.00 for the quarts A&B.  Also, the E5 did not cure translucent.  That is an issue when a bowyer wants a beautiful wood laminate to show through the clear glass.  Smooth On shines for this application.  
I did enjoy reading the information on your product, though.

Offline Jason Scott

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2010, 04:05:00 PM »
Here is my deal. I have only used smooth-on and without any problems so far. One time I way over estimated a stack for an aggressive r/d longbow design that I used smooth-on with. That bow was surely over a hundred pounds after rough shaping. In my sobbing attempt to salvage the bow by narrowing it down it ended up flipping the tips every time I tried to string it. I was and am still amazed that the glue holds after being torqued that severely so many times. That bow is on the wall in my garage to remind me every time I start a new one. I don't think I would use anything but smooth-on even of someone gave me another glue for free. The G2 seems to be half the price but for approx $15 per bow with smooth-on it's negligable to me. I am glad to know that there is another alternative in case smooth-on EA40 gets discontinued though.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©