Author Topic: glass question  (Read 419 times)

Offline hightop_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
glass question
« on: April 11, 2010, 05:03:00 PM »
I would like to post a question for all the glass bow makers out their. I have made 6 self bows with some degree of success but I haven't tried my hand at a fiber glass bow.

so here is my question why is it that fiber glass recurves are so wide? dose this affect the speed/efficiency of the bow?

thanks
Adrian

Offline GINKSTER

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: glass question
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 10:29:00 PM »
I'm not a pro, and my experience comes from making a lot of mistakes. My theory on width is that it provides stability. Glass recurves are wider but they are also thinner and lighter. Light and thin offsets thick and heavy and is less prone to limb twist. I made a narrow recurve for my son and it wanted to roll over and unstring itself. I just hacked most of the curve off and made a shorter hybrid.

Richard

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 10:57:00 PM »
You need the width to get the weight up since the limbs are thinner.

Offline hightop_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 07:19:00 PM »
Roy from Pa  that is my question why make them so thin wouldn't they be faster if they were thicker instead of wider.?  less resistance on the bow limb?.... I am no physicist but I would think thats how it would work.

I do understand about wanting to unstring them selves. I made a horn beam round belly bow that was prone to falling out of its nocks.

Offline mater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 02:46:00 PM »
They draw smoother when they are wider, and dont stack as fast.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©