Author Topic: Need some advice on Ash logs...  (Read 334 times)

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
Need some advice on Ash logs...
« on: April 26, 2010, 06:53:00 PM »
Hey guys,

I have three Green Ash logs, 8ft long. Each are at least 20in in diameter and taper to maybe 16in.

Should I split these out into billets for making selfbows and the like or take them to my local saw mill dude and have them sawn and kiln dried?

The saw mill dude is who I buy my sawn Osage Orange staves from. He cuts staves an inch and a half wide, 7/8" thick and 72 inches long. This is how I would have the Ash cut. That way I can make backed bows, cut lams from it or whatever.

Never dealt with Ash as a bow making wood. I have made quite a few trout landing nets with it though. Steams good for bending.

So... long question short, what to do with my Ash?

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline bluegill

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Need some advice on Ash logs...
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 07:07:00 PM »
Keith,

From one fish guy to another. I would want ash staves at least 2 1/4 wide,  even though generally ash is very straight grained. I like to have a little wiggle room. Most of my white wood bows have a 13/4 -2" width for a bit any way.

Sean

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 08:25:00 PM »
I make ash bows 1-3/4"-2" wide.  Ash is variable in its density so play it safe and go with 2-1/2".  If it were me, I'd probably split them rather than saw them.  But you are probably fine either way.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 09:28:00 AM »
Sean and John,

Thanks for the info! What about thickness? Is the 7/8" good for the Ash?

I will get both from the logs, but is plain-sawn or quarter-sawn better for the bows?

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline bluegill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 08:30:00 PM »
Keith,

7/8ths is just fine for thickness. As far as quarter sawn I can't say I have only built bows from staves.

Sean

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 09:31:00 PM »
Thanks Sean. Will let you know how things turn out with it all.

OkKeith
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 11:59:00 AM »
Another Ash log/bow question. If I split one of the smaller logs out into staves, can I make ELBs with some of the narrower sections?

I thought I read somewhere that Ash would make a good ELB. Somewhere around 70-72 inches long.

OkKeith
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline walkabout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 12:44:00 PM »
i build alot of board bows and i think that 7/8 should be ok. im not sure of ash because ive never used it but most boards are 3/4" that i use.i read somewhere else that ash is best left wide so im not sure about the elb from it, maybe someone whose worked with it more can help. id probably try to dry some reflex into at least one of the quartersawn staves just to see how it turns out too. ive read selfbow builders drying reflex into their staves so im sure it wouldnt hurt to try. good luck.
Richard

Offline Rain Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2010, 12:59:00 PM »
ok, I'll bite.  What's an ELB?

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2010, 01:17:00 PM »
English Long Bow
Generally on the narrow side, deep with a highly radiused belly.  They were made that way not b/c it's the best design for the available wood, but b/c you could get more bows from a particular log by making them narrower.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline Rain Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2010, 05:49:00 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I dont think its something I want to try anytime soon.  I think I'll focus more on the idiot-proof designs for now    :D

Offline walkabout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2010, 01:52:00 AM »
haha yea im thinking theyd be hard to tiller considering the rounded belly
Richard

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©