Author Topic: bow kits  (Read 499 times)

Offline cohutta orange

• Trad Bowhunter
bow kits
« on: April 30, 2010, 01:50:00 AM »
Hey everyone I haven't posted in a while but I've been reading a lot. I just wanna say thanks for what everyone is giving me. I've made self bows since i was 8, still a pup ( im 25), but ive learned so much from everyone here. Ive got a question about the longbow kits you see on ****. Are they any good? Im a carpenter so I can work with wood, but still apprehensive. any help?
Shoot straight and keep the heads keen

Offline cohutta orange

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: bow kits
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 01:51:00 AM »
By the way sorry about the long post.

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 08:29:00 AM »
Heck that's not long! I don't know about the kits you are talking about. But you should check out the sponsors. I haven't tried them myself but if I did I would go with Dryad or Three Rivers Archery. They would be there for ya if you had any questions or trouble.
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Offline Innocente

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 10:27:00 AM »
i bought a coupla longbow kits from bingham's, worked out pretty good. the tiny cans of smooth on (pint size?) were barely enough to finish the one bow, which pissed me off enough to buy a couple of big cans.  (and now i have so much smooth on i heat-epoxy everything i can think of.  little jimmy broke a plate? TIME FOR SMOOTH ON!)

Offline R.W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 01:40:00 PM »
Dryad sells both 'glass laminated, and all wood laminated "bow blanks."

The quality is excellent, and they stand behind their products.

Can't go wrong with the Dryad's, IMOHO.

They also supply a DVD how-to with the wood laminated bow blank.

R.W.

Offline bigcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 03:05:00 PM »
I got one of those precut kits from bay.  Pretty good if you don't have access to a table saw or bandsaw.  

Mike Mcguire on here also will sell slats like that.  I would rather spend money thru him or one of the advertisers.

Offline gudspelr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 03:26:00 PM »
I say go for it.  I'm in the final stages of finishing my first bow (laminated R/D longbow) and if I can do it, you most certainly can  :) .  I didn't buy a kit-a friend had a riser he gave me and I ordered the rest of the lams and other stuff from Bingham's.  They were fine to deal with, but after seeing some of the folks on here, I'd definitely look at getting a kit or your parts from them.  Good luck

Jeremy
"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
- William Morris

Craftsmen strive to make their products both.

Offline huntersteve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 05:26:00 PM »
I've ordered and completed several of the longbow kits that your talking about....the ones I got were all bamboo backed kits with either IPE or hickory cores....they were fine...Steve

Offline adam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2010, 06:42:00 PM »
I think the kits you are talking about are sold by a member on here. For some reason i remember reading another post about this a while back and it was a member that was selling them. Anyway, i've never tried them but bamboo bows are alot of fun to build!
Psalm 18:33

Offline cohutta orange

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2010, 06:52:00 PM »
Thanks everyone. It;s not my first self bow, but my first big project. I think I will check out Dryad and see if i can find anything. good arrow flingin to everyone.

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2010, 06:53:00 PM »
What does the "kit" consist of? I can name a handful of sponsors that offer blanks or components, or a custom Package. What are you looking for?
Chuck
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline cohutta orange

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2010, 09:22:00 PM »
I'm not too sure. I've been seeing all of these nice bows and it is making me antsy. I have a recurve and was thinking of a hill styled longbow. thanks again.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©