Author Topic: Making Fletching  (Read 459 times)

Offline The Butcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Making Fletching
« on: May 02, 2010, 08:03:00 AM »
Ok made a feather grinder, trying to decide which is best, one of the feather choppers, or feather burner.  I have used burner before, but have no experience with one of the choppers.  Any help or input would be appreciated.  Thanks Don
Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean.  It's perfect when it arrives and puts itself in our hands.  It hopes we've learned something from yesterday.  -  John Wayne

Offline Jim Dahlberg

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Making Fletching
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 11:10:00 AM »
I prefer a burner.  Placement of feathers on the shaft will be exactly the same after burning and trimming.  You can change shape and length of feathers by changing the burner wire which is definitely not an option with a chopper.  And it is much easier to glue on spliced feathers then shape them with the burner than to try and put them together then place them in a chopper.
Just my opinion.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 04:46:00 PM »
I like a chopper, much cleaner cut and shape. But it's all good, just have fun.

Offline Mike Most

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 07:11:00 PM »
I have to give a vote of confidence for a chopper, I have a left wing 4" shield cut, and a right wing 5 1/2 inch shield cut. the latter is the noisier of the two when the arrows are flying down range, but they look awsome. Cleaner and less smelly... any rate good luck

Mike
"It Shall be Life" (Ten Bears to Josie Wales)
------------------                Michael Most-Adkins Texas

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 01:12:00 AM »
Choppers for me. I sell arrows and using choppers let me reproduce fletching shapes. That may be more difficult to do with a burner where I have to bend the wire and have a chance to screw it up.
However, occasionally I want a shape that just isn't available in choppers. I don't use it very often but the burner is great in those instances.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline briarjumper12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 08:17:00 AM »
Got any pics of your grinder?  I too am in need of a grinder.  Got the feathers off 3 sets of wings this spring and no grinder!
Blessed be the Lord my strength; which teacheth my hands to war and my fingers to fight.

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 09:18:00 AM »
I have both a chopper (Vario Clipper) and a burner. The burner is a pain to adjust the wire so it shapes the feather without burning or scorching the shaft but once set properly it is much faster than the chopper and very precise.

I just changed my burner from a parabolic cut to a shield. Several hours of adjusting and lots of test burning to get it just right.

The chopper makes a great fletching but it does take a while to chop out enough feathers to fletch a dozen arrows.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©