3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Gold tip vs. Carbon Express  (Read 849 times)

Offline Featherbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
Gold tip vs. Carbon Express
« on: February 12, 2008, 09:01:00 AM »
I think this might have been addressed earlier.  Someone please tell me again the comparison of the two.....is the 5575--150, or the 5575--250? how are the carbon express spined??  
Also i am going to do some experimenting with arrows and weights.  Either the goldtips or the CE with 50 or 100 grain inserts and 150??? grain BH.  I am shooting a 60# Bob Lee TD recurve and was wondering what setups (arrow length, insert weight, BH weight) all yaw have to give me a good idea of where to start.

thanks
We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. - Tribe Unknown

Southern Traditional Archery

Offline BigHink66

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Gold tip vs. Carbon Express
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 09:07:00 AM »
5575 is similar to the 250 CE.

I am not sure of the actual spine measurement, but I use 250's cut to 30.5" with 225grains up front.  This is a combination of 125gr point and 100 grains of PDP inserts.  I like the PDP because of the adjustability over just using brass inserts.

I shoot these out of a 60@30 inch setup and I draw them the whole way back.

Offline Featherbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 10:05:00 AM »
Thanks for the info
We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. - Tribe Unknown

Offline Big'n

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 11:20:00 AM »
The CX Heritage are much more consistent as far as spine and weight than the GT Trads. IMO  DAVE
"If you want just one thing too much in life....Your life will likely be a disappointment" Augustus McCrae

Offline ks8674

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 12:18:00 PM »
I shot the goldtip 55/75 for the last couple of months. They are not a shaft I would buy again. The shafts seem very weak and have no durability. I had a shaft crack from hitting a 3d target at 20yards. I have shot the beman mfx classic and that is my arrow of choice now...very durable! A freind of mine shoots the cx heritage shafts and he loves them! They seem to be a well made shaft. Stay away from the Goldtips! I shoot a 55# BW longbow with 30" arrows 225gr. upfront on a beman mfx 400. In the gold tips I shot a 55/70 at 29" with 240gr. upfront.

Offline jrchambers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 12:41:00 PM »
I dont know why there have been so many bad reviews of the gold tips ive bought a total of 18 in the last three years,  i keep em as long as possible and when they break i usualy can cut them down and they still fly great,  i am only 4 short of my origonal 18 and three of them are in my hunting area.  not to mention the price i dont know how much bemans are but im pretty shure its up there same with cx, 49 bucks a dozen sounds good to me,  I shoot a 61lb bob lee curve with 5575s 175gr tip 70 more in brass behind it with 20 in back,  620 grains total at 183fps.  i know there are better shafts out there but the only time i break a gt is when it hits a rock or robin hood, even then they have all been reusable.  what is your draw lenght if around 29 and you shoot one of bobs fast flight strings my setup should be just right.  dont worry about quality in gold tips,  for something you should expect to be terminal tackle they are just right.

Offline ISP 5353

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 01:36:00 PM »
I have had pretty good luck with Goldtips.  I've been shooting them out of several of my bows and no problems so far.

Offline longstick

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 01:54:00 PM »
GT had a bad batch some time back and are still recovering I was told. I shoot the 3555 Traditionals and like JR I just cut them down and shoot em more Dont think Ive found a tougher carbon, anything that can bounce off of a water trough. glance off a cedar fence post and stick in a tree and survive has got to be tuff
>>-TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Offline baretraks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2008, 04:43:00 PM »
I've shot Gold tips for the past few years and they're the toughese I've shot. The only one I've torn up to date is the one I Robin-Hooded while shooting last week, (after telling someone that I'd never robin-hooded one before) I killed a doe last year that ran 30 yards with one hanging out of her side slapping the trees....but I guess theirs good and bad in everything
" Life is hard. It's even harder if your stupid."
-John Wayne

Offline BigHink66

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2008, 06:24:00 PM »
I have also shot the GT's.  This was prior to buying the CE's.  

Over the 1 and 1/2 years that I shot the GT XT, I broke four or five out of that dozen.  All were mushroomed by shoving the insert up into the shaft.

Over the 2 years that I have had the CE, I have never cracked a one of them.  I still shoot at similar targets while stumpin and have yet to break one.

Not to mention you get more weight with the CE.

Offline Featherbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2008, 06:39:00 PM »
i am going to get some CE's and try to see how much weight i can get upfront.  i want to go for 250 grains up front but will just have to wait and see.  i think my BL curve will be able to push those pretty easy

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2008, 08:01:00 PM »
You never said your draw length. If ya draw 28"s than the 250 cut to 29"s would work well for ya with around 225 up front. Shawn
Shawn

Offline BUFF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2008, 08:13:00 PM »
We did some stump shooting during a Caribou hunt. I was shooting a 70# long bow and Heritage shafts . My buddy was shooting a 55# LB and GT shafts. I never broke an arrow. He broke 5. He sent an e-mail to GT complaining. They sent him a e-mail back saying their arrows were designed to shoot game not stumps

Offline ks8674

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2008, 10:29:00 PM »
Like bighink66 said you really don't notice how bad a carbon arrow they are unless you have shot a beman or a carbon express shaft to see the difference. Shoot them side by side at stumps like Buff did, and you will see a huge difference in quality!

Offline Charlie Cole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2008, 02:37:00 PM »
Have you CE Heritage shooters noticed a difference in durability between the 150s and the 250s?
No real reason for asking but I have found that the 150s shoot best for me.

Offline BUFF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2008, 05:04:00 PM »
I have had good luck with 150, 250 and 350 shafts

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©