Author Topic: Power tools?  (Read 533 times)

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
Power tools?
« on: May 02, 2010, 07:51:00 PM »
So what would you guys recommend for sanders and other tools?  What are some of the makes and models you like?  Any power tool you find handy for laminate bow building in general.
Iowa Bowhunters Association - Your voice in Iowa's bowhunting and deer hunting issues!

Offline Canadabowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Power tools?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 09:21:00 PM »
I find Grizzly tools to be very good value for the $. I have a 6"x 80" sander GO 512. 12" disc sander G7297. A 17" bandsaw GO513x2.If you want a smaller one the 14" GO555 is a good saw.The quick release blade tensioner is a very good feature.You release the tension after your days work and it makes the tires and bands last longer.I also have a Preformax 10-20 drum sander for grinding lams and squaring riser blocks, It works very well if you don't try to sand too deep at once.If you want some pics send me a PM with your e-mail.   Bob
"non illegitimus carborundum est"

Offline DeployableBowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 10:38:00 PM »
I would also start with the Grizzly products, but if you are going to grind your own lams do not use their 12" Baby Drum Sander (has a weak gear that strips alot), you will need to step it up to their 16" or larger double drum sander. Their edge sanders are pretty good for bulk work but when I need to get a good true 90 degree angle while sanding, like for mating laminated riser pieces, go with an oscilating spindle sander. Don't go with a weak band saw (under 1.5hp) as you will get frustrated as it bogs down, just go ahead and buy something like Grizzly's 2hp bandsaw if you plan on using it a lot. Don't forget a dust collector, maybe one with about 1000 cfm suction or more. This is really a whole bunch of stuff you really don't "need", but once I stepped up my power tools it sure did make a difference. On the other hand though, the bows which have the most elbow grease in them sure have a lot more memories.
    Buy according to budget (you get a lot from Grizzly for a budget), and buy according to how much you plan on building. Hope this helped.
    Oh, and don't forget the drill press...
Do the thing you fear, and the death of fear is certain...

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 10:33:00 AM »
Thanks guys.  I've been doing some wood working the past few years with construction type tools for the most part.  I sure enjoy it and I really have the bug to start making some bows for myself and family/friends.  So the tools I want to purchase will be used for both furniture and decor type wood working along with bow making.  

One of my concerns was buying tools that are well made with the ability for precise work.  The Grizzly line sounds nice, I'm definitely on a budget.
Iowa Bowhunters Association - Your voice in Iowa's bowhunting and deer hunting issues!

Offline Bob Sarrels

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 10:36:00 AM »
I also like Grizzly.  My 6x80 belt sander is my work horse.  Have a Delta  bandsaw for wood and and old Sears bandsaw for cutting glass.  Grizzly flap sander is sweet.  Just a pain to change out the brooms with no help.
Now then, get your weapons ~ your quiver and bow ~ and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.  Gen. 27.3

Offline ChristopherO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 02:13:00 PM »
MS,
I, too, have been using my home building tools that once assisted me in in constrution to do a bit of wood working and bow building.  They are helpful but not designed for the type of stationary shop use I've been subjecting them to.  
The hand held belt sander just isn't it for shaping riser fades.  It works for sanding the sides of the limbs but is really less than adequate for that, too.  
Many folks on here swear by the Rigid belt/osculating spindle sander combo for $200.00.  I've been tempted to pick one up as well but limited dollars toward this pursuit keeps directing me to put my funds elsewhere.  
If you are on a budget and like to build your own tools to build bows, and other items, with it can be done much less expensively.
There are men here who have inspired me with their constrution of Drum Sanders to create laminates with.  A quick search will put you on to their posts with pictures.
I put together a spindle sander last month to create feather thin fades for my first fiberglass lam bow.  Wish I had it when I was working on Bamboo backed bows last year.  With all the scraps on hand it cost me hard money of a whopping $2.50 for the sanding drum.  I had the plywood, the old dryer motor was given to me and my brother made up the shaft coupler in a few minutes.  I could have purchased a shaft coupler for under $10.00 if necessary.
My next build will be a 6"x89" belt edge sander.  I am using the plansnow.com set of prints and instructions for this project.  From emailing a man who recently built this model for his musical instrument making shop he is very satisfied with his machine's performance.  He stated that it is the most used tool he has now that he put it together.  I know that in sanding limbs and the like it will be an invaluable aid for me.  I'm hoping to make it to the Grainger store this week to purchase most of the hardware items.  Again, I have 2 older motors in stock to choose from for the power plant.  But those can be had fairly cheaply if you keep your eyes open.  I'm thinking for just a bit over $100.00 I will have a machine that will cost me a whole bunch more than that if purchased new.
Who knows, after that I may tackle a drum sander, too.
The thing is:  I won't have them "Right Now" this way but once they are made I will have them when I need them from then on out.  Plus, I like building things and this gives me a chance to exersize that muscle.  And it will save the money I need to order more fiberglass and glue for bow builds and other projects.

Offline Johan van Niekerk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 03:05:00 PM »
Christopher, How bout some pics of that homemade spindle sander?

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 03:34:00 PM »
What kind of bows do you want to make? jawge

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2010, 03:45:00 PM »
Hi George,

I've got my mind set on laminated one piece recurves.  Maybe some takedowns in the future.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2010, 07:40:00 PM »
Mike, I'm 50 some miles south of centeville,IA. If you want to look some griz stuff over,come on down!

Or if you want to look at a lot of griz stuff,5 hrs south of me will put you in their 5 acre warehouse! LOL
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2010, 12:13:00 PM »
Thanks for the offer Kenny.  I checked out your web site, looks good.  Probably have to get ahold of ya in the future.

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2010, 01:04:00 PM »
Some time back I did an extensive buildalong on a laminated bow, including a detailed presentation of all of the tools and using them, starting from a big plank through cutting and grinding lams, etc.  It's still up at  www.oldpharttsarchery.com

look for two sections that should help you:

"My Shop"   and   "Building an Old Phartt's Bow"

The tool discussions run from what I have (pretty extensive) on through "how little can you get by with".

Hope it helps.   I'd invite you by, but Iowa's a bit far from Seattle!
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2010, 03:19:00 PM »
Oh ok, Morning Star. I can't help  with that. Jawge

Offline ChristopherO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2010, 04:08:00 PM »
Johan,
It is nothing fancy but it works well.

The motor had a toggle switch on it so I just used a wire inside an old aluminum arrow as an outside on/off switch.

Offline marty z

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2010, 01:13:00 AM »

sanding station
the other silent killer

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2010, 08:25:00 AM »
Grizzly
Got wood? - Tom

Offline Joshua Lee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2010, 12:03:00 AM »
Those are sweet marty, I'm guessing there was an incident that got the front labeled.  :)
"Success is not final
Failure is not fatal
It is the courage to continue that counts"
Churchill

Offline Joshua Lee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2010, 12:04:00 AM »
oops, I thought both pics were by marty
"Success is not final
Failure is not fatal
It is the courage to continue that counts"
Churchill

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2010, 07:17:00 AM »
I've been where you are at recently and have picked up some tools to help with all aspects of laminated bows. I have the following and I think other than a dust collector I am done (for now)
Grizzly 14" ultimate bandsaw
Jet performax 10-20 drum sander
Delta 6x48 belt sander
4x36 beltsander mounted on edge for a edge sander.
Floor model drill press with a air filled spindle sander.
Heat box.
US ARMY 1984-1988

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©