Author Topic: wrist slap ??  (Read 745 times)

Offline rover brewer

• Trad Bowhunter
wrist slap ??
« on: May 05, 2010, 04:53:00 PM »
made a hickory self bow at the twin oaks camp over the weekend, didn't get to shoot there because of all the rain, have shot it some monday and I get a wrist slap everytime high up next to my hand.I have just started shooting without wheels and love it,my other bow is a recurve and I never get wrist slap,help!!!!
john 3:16

Offline bigcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: wrist slap ??
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 05:20:00 PM »
Adjust your Brace Hieght to a full fistmill.  Or 6".  Your recurve usually is set to 7-8".

Second, your recurve is probably high wristed or medium, where a selfbow is broken wrist which puts yor forarm closer to the string.  I hold selfbows without the heel of my hand between my thumb and index finger.  But if your overbowed, it makes it tough.

Offline rover brewer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 05:27:00 PM »
Thanks bigcountry, to adjust do I twist the bow string, I don't think I'm overbowed its just 45# the same as my recurve.

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 10:43:00 PM »
yes, set your initial brace at 6", then twist the string till you don't get slap.   Also, most true longbows, which generally includes selfbows, are shot with a slightly bent elbow, which moves the forearm out a bit.
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline rover brewer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 07:11:00 AM »
thanks I was wondering if form had something to do with it.

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 07:25:00 AM »
Replace the string with a low-stretch string material (FF, D97, TS1, etc).  Then you can keep the low (6-7") brace height and not get the slap.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline rover brewer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 06:21:00 PM »
thanks for your reply, now what kind of string is FF D97 TS1 I am a newbie, or maybe something easier like where can I buy this string and what would it be called, thanks Jeremy and the rest of you guys for your help my wrist really thanks you.

Offline Rain Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 09:27:00 PM »
FF = Fast Flight.  I got a fast flight string from Cabela's for my recurve.  I'm sure most online archery places have it.

Offline rover brewer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 09:57:00 PM »
thanks rain man, would that be ok with my bow it is all one piece hickory no lamination.

Offline Mark C.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2010, 10:06:00 PM »
IMO.... I would never shoot FF on a all wood bow.

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2010, 09:20:00 AM »
Originally posted by Mark C.:
IMO.... I would never shoot FF on a all wood bow.
All I ever shoot on my selfbows are low-stretch strings.  You get the added performance boost, a quieter bow (on every longbow I've tried 'em on), can brace them lower (=less strain=longer-lived bow) and still not have the annoying wrist slap associated with a low-strung bow and a dacron string.  I'd use a properly built low-stretch string even if it were slower for the lack of wrist slap and noise reduction!

Interestingly, try a "traditional" linen or hemp string... they both feel a whole lot more like a low-stretch string than a dacron one.
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2010, 09:23:00 AM »
I usually do a tip overlay and shape them properly.  The low-stretch strings sold by Cabelas are horribly overbuilt... you're better off getting one from one of the sponsor's here.  18 strand FF is a cable and I don't see why they sell those.  I usually use 12 strands of TS-1 and pad the loops out to 16 strands.

Online frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2010, 04:01:00 PM »
I agree, any of the low stretch, high preformance materials will be better!

I started shooting Fast Flight on my selfbows in 1991. Was the only high performance material at the time. I have shot 20, 15, and 12 strands of it. All are better than dacron as far as delivering the most energy form a selfbow. Heavy hunting arrows is my reasoning!

As for tip overlays, not really needed, especially on hickory. Just make sure the nocks have a smooth transition, with no sharp bends in the loops of the string at brace.

If you do use a smaller count, strand string, be sure to pad the loops.

As for the wrist slap, straight handle bows, do take some adjusting to. Just don't fight it, use a firm grip, and you may find you have to shoot it a little different than your modern, contoured grip bows. Wear an armguard, the sting from the string, can cause a break in your concentration.

Congrads on the new bow, have fun, they are addictive!  :archer2:

Offline rover brewer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2010, 04:53:00 PM »
thanks guys I'm going to see about ordering some string now.

Offline UnderControl16

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2010, 12:05:00 PM »
Originally posted by Dick in Seattle:
yes, set your initial brace at 6", then twist the string till you don't get slap.   Also, most true longbows, which generally includes selfbows, are shot with a slightly bent elbow, which moves the forearm out a bit.
Do most people on here shoot with a bent elbow? I've usually shot mine with a straight arm and just wear an armguard for the "random" occasions when my arm gets hit.

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2010, 07:52:00 AM »
Originally posted by UnderControl16:
Do most people on here shoot with a bent elbow?
Not me.  My form and alignment is the same regardless of what bow I'm shooting.  Howard Hill shot with a slightly bent elbow, but he was trying to reduce his draw length.

Offline bigcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2010, 03:12:00 PM »
Originally posted by UnderControl16:

Originally posted by Dick in Seattle:
Do most people on here shoot with a bent elbow? I've usually shot mine with a straight arm and just wear an armguard for the "random" occasions when my arm gets hit. [/b]
I don't, I just twist my elbow out of the way and don't heel the bow.  I never was a fan of the bent elbow.

Offline rover brewer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2010, 09:36:00 PM »
I think I'll get an armguard, I talked to a guy who has made bows for many years and he said that a long bow or selfbows just expect a slap on the wrist but was not in favor of the bent elbow.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2010, 07:24:00 AM »
Rover, you don't have to put up with the wrist slap. Raising the brace height may also make your arrows shoot better. When the string is too low, it doesn't release the nock soon enough, which doesn't allow the arrow to clear the bow handle as it should.

That guy might have built many bows, but he's wrong about expecting wrist slap and the bent elbow. What most people refer to as a bent elbow is really just rotating the elbow out so the string doesn't hit your arm. Basic common sense.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline rover brewer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2010, 08:21:00 PM »
ok I have raised the brace height to 6.5" but haven't had a chance to try it out yet due to final sanding and sealing.thanks.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©