Author Topic: turning blanks  (Read 221 times)

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
turning blanks
« on: May 07, 2010, 10:08:00 PM »
I recently purchased some turning blanks that are 1 1/2 X 1 1/2 X 18" to use for riser material, has anyone ever used this material, or if it is dry, ready to use
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline strungstick

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: turning blanks
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 11:15:00 PM »
No real way of knowing without testing it. Chances are pretty good that if the ends aren't sealed, and it hasn't checked, it has probably been kilm dried, but even then the moisture content can still flucuate. I've used turning blanks for longbow risers without any issues.

Offline DeployableBowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 11:38:00 PM »
I use turning blanks all the time. Most turning blanks are going to be dried before they are put on the shelf for sale unless they are advertised otherwise. Only way to know for sure is with a moisture meter, but there is no real need to go out and buy one. Whoever sold it to you should know if it were air or kiln dried, or still green.
Do the thing you fear, and the death of fear is certain...

Offline Jason Scott

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 02:44:00 PM »
I have used them for riser and tip overlays. I plan on using them to laminate a riser but it will be accent strips only. The ones I get are wax coated.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©