Author Topic: boaed bow breakage  (Read 292 times)

Offline okiecountryboy

• Trad Bowhunter
boaed bow breakage
« on: May 10, 2010, 06:42:00 PM »
hey all
I'm new to this forum and have a question.
I've just started trying my hand at making bows.I have tried to start simple with redoak bb's. My first 2 attempts have ended in failure. I am already addicted, but let down. One snapped mid-limb, the other broke at the fade. Niether were too thin. The 1st...I wasn't paying enough attention to the grain when bought, the 2nd had great grain. I only have a jig saw a few rasps and a mouse sander. The going is long and hard and to have them snap is a real let down..
Any comments
GOD, HONOR, COUNTRY

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: boaed bow breakage
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 06:53:00 PM »
A few pics of the leftovers may give us a few clues as to what went wrong.
There's a thread a little further down the page titled 'So you want to build a bow' (Or something similar) that is a spectacularly good buildalong guide to making a red oak board bow. Have a looksee.....

Oh and Welcome to the Forum!  :D   :wavey:
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline R.W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 07:56:00 PM »
As Robtattoo says.

Check out 4est Trekker's "So you wanna build a bow" build-a-long. It is an excellent guide to ending up with a good self/board bow.

R.W.

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 11:17:00 PM »

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 12:37:00 AM »
Nice tool Eric. I tapered mine years ago.

Offline walkabout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 02:02:00 AM »
i agree pics will help but im guessing bad grain or sharp corners are the culprits. reading the post these fellows mentioned will help in those areas. it really is a foolproof buildalong. did you back the bows with anything?if so what did you use. some stuff will overpower the wood causing it to split.
Richard

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 08:40:00 AM »
Looks great Roy! I have given away around 150 gizmos so far, been a tough road getting people to accept one as a better way to mark stiff spots in a limb but they are finally catching on.

Okie, with a gizmo, used properly, you will never put undue stress in an isolated part of a limb which could cause a failure.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©