Author Topic: how do you deterimine the string length?  (Read 293 times)

Offline 504state

• Trad Bowhunter
how do you deterimine the string length?
« on: May 14, 2010, 02:11:00 AM »
I am at the tillering stage, and everything looks good so far, but I am not sure how to determine where the final set should be. I have heard people say that on store bought bows that the string length should be 4inches shorter than the length of the bow nock to nock, but not sure if that applies here. It is a red oak board bow.

Offline walkabout

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: how do you deterimine the string length?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 02:48:00 AM »
generally i start shortening the string as i tiller until i get to about 6 inches or 6 1/2 of brace height. this is final brace height until you shoot and tune the bow and the string length will be correct. a ballpark estimate is 3 inches shorter for longbows.
Richard

Offline walkabout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 02:51:00 AM »
to ealborate a little more i use a string with a bopwyers knot to tiller and shorten it that way. when i get this to the brace height i just measure the tillering string and make the final string the length of the tiller string . hope this helps.
Richard

Offline 504state

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 03:18:00 AM »
Sure did help! Thanks! That is what I did with my first bow. When you measure your brace height how and where do you measure from?

Offline walkabout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 08:50:00 AM »
i use the markings on my tillering tree to measure brace height, but take into account the fact that its built to amo, which measures 1 3/4 inches forward of the deepest part of the handle. so for a 6 inch brace my string will sit somewhere around the top edge of the 8" mark
Richard

Offline Loren Holland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 12:13:00 PM »
Are you using B-50? I don't use templates or jigs. I make one loop and twist till i get to the width of a hand to the other knock.  I twist in the other loop and it usually comes in about to a fistmele of brace height. Once the B-50 streches, you can either retwist the loop, moving the point where the loop joins the string down about an inch.  Or you can twist the string to shorten it, usually between 4-10 twists depending on much it stretched. Remember that a lower brace height actually transfers more energy, so you really only want it high enough to clear the fletching. Don't be fooled by the feeling of drawing the bow at a slightly higher poundage, when your brace height is too high you are losing cast.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©