Author Topic: First Connexion Hinge attempt! H-E-L-P  (Read 866 times)

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
First Connexion Hinge attempt! H-E-L-P
« on: May 15, 2010, 09:12:00 AM »
I received an order of ebony that I can't use for my current build.  I had to re-order from another supplier.  While I wait, I decided to try my hand at a take-down.

I have been experimenting with two piece take-down systems.  My first attempt was converting an old bow into a sleeved take-down.  It works ok, and added a lot of mass to the bow.  Every time I think I have it fitted well, I shoot it a while and it's a real booger to separate.  I need a vice most times!

I have some hinges on order from Robertson Bows.  While I wait for him to receive his shipment, Dick fronted me one of his.  Thanks Dick!

This is a 68" Sapelo (mild R/D) with a Bois De Rose riser, maple actionwood/hickory lams, and black glass.  She will finish right at 50@28.  I made a boo-boo when cutting the 3/4" trough for the hinge to fit into.  I had a bold white line marking the center of the bow, and another not so bold a line marking the hinge position around 3/4" below center.  I planned for my shelf to be 1 1/2" above center.  Had her all timed and tillered for the original shelf location.  Like a bone head I cut the trough on the center line!  No fear, I just had to re-configure the riser layout.  I was running out of room for the shelf, and it's located a little closer to the hinge than I wanted.  I just can't radius it much.  I'll just use velcro on the shelf, and all will be good.  This is my progress yesterday.

I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: First Connexion Hinge attempt! H-E-L-P
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 09:22:00 AM »
You do know you need to cut the handle?  It won't work like that  :)  

Have courage.  It's kind of like recreational skydiving.  Cutting a bow in half goes against everything we know about making bows.  Take the plunge.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 09:23:00 AM »
I wanted a large enough kerf to use two pieces of glass in the middle.  After much painful deliberation, I decided to use my chop saw to cut the bow in half.  I cut a .005 blade from an old feeler gauge and slid it between the bottom of the hinge and the bow.  When I saw sparks I quit cutting!   :o  It worked well.  Due to the round blade, I had to finish the cut with a hacksaw blade.  Now I have a two piece!

Two .050 pieces of black glass will be perfect!  I ran out of time this morning, but will glue these in tonight.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 10:20:00 AM »
Lookin good Marty!!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010, 10:27:00 AM »
Thanks Kenny.

I've decided I should have sealed the wood under the pivoting part of the hinge.  I haven't heard it mentioned in any instructions, so I didn't think about it.  I have to remove a piece of blue painters tape first though!  Not much of a gap to work with.  Maybe I can fish a piece of wire under there.  I figure to just wick some CA in the crack to seal it.

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2010, 10:33:00 PM »
Looks good!   From one earlier communication I thought you maybe had a mess on hand.   Obviously not.

Yeah, I got caught in that sealing under the hinge trap, too.    I don't work with the precision you do so I had a bigger gap and could get True Oil soaked cloth under there.    Maybe you could use paper soaked in finish?
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline Oliverstacy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2010, 11:58:00 PM »
Marty,

I think a 62" Ossabow 2 piece in my future...or if you get the 50's recurve up and running that will be on the short list.

Hope it finishes like you hope.

Josh
Custom Flemish Strings by Oliverstacy!  
Kanati 60" 57@29"
AP Cumberland 66" 58@29"
WhisperStik KajikaStik 56" Recurve with Canebrakes...57@28"
WhisperStik KajikaStik aka "Wormy" RC & LB,both 55@29"
Martin Savannah 50@28"
Kota Kill-um 55@28"

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2010, 02:51:00 PM »
ok since we're talking hinge, I have to ask....I have a hinge on a bow built by a boywer.  The ears if you will are lifting up?   do I dare file them back down?  I can post a pic if you need a better idea.

Offline ChristopherO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2010, 04:26:00 PM »
Even with that metal shim to alert you when cutting you are a brave man to sever the handle like you did.  As a fellow who has made tens of thousands of chops with a miter saw I know how finiky it can be to control the blade in those tolerances.  Good job, though.

Offline shamus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2010, 06:04:00 PM »
Very nice work, sir.

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2010, 07:31:00 PM »
AkDan,  If you want my opinion, post a photo.  Just keep in mind this is my first hinge install!  :)   Maybe some one else will stumble upon this post and give you some educated advice.

I've been finish sanding and shooting this bad girl today.  She is sweet.  There is absolutely no play in the system, and she comes apart effortlessly.  I just wish these things weren't so expensive.

It's gonna be a real pain keeping the red off the core wood while finish prepping.

Offline Trux Turning

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2010, 09:18:00 PM »
Brave man with the chop saw-- looks good though. That riser will really come to life with the finish.

If you don't glue the hinge/screws in on the fit up couldn't you take the hinge off after you get it located properly, cut the bow in half and then reinstall the hinge?

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2010, 09:24:00 PM »
The build-a-longs I studied before my attempt said that once the hinge is on, to "NEVER" take it off.  Alignment issues will present themselves that are really tough to remedy.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2010, 09:26:00 PM »
Will do Apex....

In your bottom pic its the right half (of the two hinge pieces), inside the slot where the top of the T goes (the left side or male end in your bottom pic). On the right hand side top as you look at your pic.   In the U channel top edge corner where the corner is at the top inside corner of the T.   Tears my rubber grip if I roll it on and off to much.  Have seen this in another bow too.  It's rolling that edge up.

Confuzed?  LOL  I'll post pics here in a bit I gotta run some errands.

Offline Jason Scott

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2010, 09:55:00 AM »
KkDan, sounds like you should be able to sand or file the burr off.

Offline Swissbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2010, 04:31:00 PM »
Not for the faint of heart to cut such a nice bow in half. But you did a fantastic job Marty.

That hinge really is something I have to think about. I often use my bike to ride down to our shooting place and it's always a hassle to carry a longbow or even a recurve. But with a bow like that you just take it apart and put it in a backpack and off you go. I have to check where I can get one of these hinges.

Again, great job Marty !

----------
Andy

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2010, 12:13:00 PM »
Where do you get these hinges at?  I don't know if I'm brave enough to cut my bow in half or not.  Looks pretty scary to me.  :scared:

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2010, 01:02:00 PM »
Dick Robertson sells them for $90 each, or $85 if you buy three.  Now I see why bowyers charge $150-200 dollars for a bow with one.

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2010, 07:44:00 AM »
Here she is!  I planned on putting mocassin skins on this one, but I'm not so sure now.  I can always do it later.  She finished at 50@28.

Offline SteveD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2010, 08:21:00 AM »
Wow Great work Marty.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©