Author Topic: osage hybrid longbow  (Read 354 times)

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
osage hybrid longbow
« on: May 20, 2010, 09:59:00 AM »
Here are a few pics of one of my many projects. I call it an osage hybrid because right now the tips don't touch the limbs as much as a recurve, but more than a longbow. Very much like the black swan hybrid. It shoots fast and feels good. There is a little hand shock that I think will go aways after I put on antler tips and switch to a ff string. Even now though, it doesn't have much. I am pleased with it now, but want to cut it down and pick up a few pounds. This stave worried me because of a wind check that ran off the side of the top limb, but I figured what the hell right! Well, here they are.
60in.
45@26
1½ wide from fades to midlimb tapering to
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: osage hybrid longbow
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 10:03:00 AM »
here it is right off the caul. I then let it sit back in the hotbox for a few weeks before going any farther. The limbs taper to ½ at the tips. The bow took one inch of set while tillering.
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 10:05:00 AM »
this is the unbraced/floor tillered pic

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 10:12:00 AM »
This is the last pull on the long string. This profile was a fun one to tiller. I just kept waiting for the thing to blow because of the check in the top limb. There were several in the bottom too, but none of them were in the back, just the belly.

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 10:29:00 AM »

Here is 26in draw. I will probably cut it and get the string off the limb the rest of the way. What do you think?

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 10:42:00 AM »
this is a picture of the check that runds off the side of the top limb. I still can hardly believe that this one is in one piece!

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010, 10:58:00 AM »
Put some thin super glue in it.
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline L82HUNT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2010, 11:33:00 AM »
Make me one about 60# and Ill kill a deer with it for ya cause I know you cant.  :smileystooges:

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2010, 12:09:00 PM »
Glenn

Your down right mean to the little fellow   :laughing:    :laughing:    :laughing:
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 12:36:00 PM »
Better back it? That is one great looking bow!
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2010, 03:17:00 PM »
I got the antler tips put on and final sanding finished. All I have to do now is put on a few coats of finish. (wipe on poly) and then a leather handle and it will be done.

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2010, 03:18:00 PM »
I always forget the pics

Offline Cherry Tree

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2010, 04:21:00 PM »
very nice looking bow!!

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2010, 05:46:00 PM »
Looks like your left limb is bending too much at the fade and not enough mid limb.

Might just be the pic angle.

Just what I see.

Stiks
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline chrisg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2010, 05:34:00 AM »
I helped a friend build a BBO on with identical run off, we kept on drizzling CA glue in and it settled down. The backing sure helped though. Agree about that bend close to fade on left limb. If you pike it you could put extra stress on there, I am also aiming for a 'hybrid' BBO but will get the limbs to bend a little more than you have there.
chrisg

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2010, 04:53:00 PM »
I decided not to cut any of this bow. It has been about 100 or more shots and I took it to the chrono today. 12strand ff string, 445 grain total arrow weight pulling 45@26. I had a three shot average of 155fps. I was pleased. :-) thanks for looking

Offline tim roberts

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2010, 04:56:00 PM »
Nice   :thumbsup:
Tim

TGMM Family of the Bow

I guess if we run into the bear that is making these tracks, we oughta just get off the trail.......He seems to like it!  
My good friend Rudy Bonser, while hunting elk up Indian Creek.

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2010, 09:53:00 PM »
I put a leather grip on this one today. It really shoots nice. I need to think of a name for her. I put on a few coats of rub on poly and sanded with steel wool in between coats.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©