Author Topic: Videogame Bows  (Read 265 times)

Offline DesertFox

• Trad Bowhunter
Videogame Bows
« on: May 21, 2010, 01:22:00 PM »
I don't know why, but I get the feeling this is a subject more serious bowyers would probably scoff at. However, videogame and movie designs are full of so many problematic decorations that they can provide an interesting challenge. Anyway, to the point.
I was thinking I might try to make a replica of this videogame bow.

Obviously I wouldn't be able to do it at my present skill level, but I want to start thinking about what it would take. I'm thinking it would have to be a horn bow shape to be so small and yet reach a full draw.

On second thought, maybe this one from a previous game.

It looks like it has a non-functioning recurve section at the tips, which could be done by glueing since it doesn't need to be strong. Could a riser function with that shape though? hmmm...

Solving movie/videogame bows seems like it would be a fun challenge.
-How to make a bow-
Step one: Make a pile of shavings.
Step two: Shoot your new bow!

Offline bjansen

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Videogame Bows
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 01:24:00 PM »
Looks like a fun project.....I think it may stack a little though with a string andle of 120 degrees...haha

Offline DesertFox

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 01:36:00 PM »
Originally posted by bjansen:
Looks like a fun project.....I think it may stack a little though with a string andle of 120 degrees...haha
What is stacking? Is it the draw weight drastically increasing at a certain point?

In any case, that first bow really looks like a tricky one (if not impossible  :p  ). I'll probably do the second one soon though... It looks much simpler.
-How to make a bow-

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 04:55:00 PM »
A bow limb is a spring.  The work you put into it by pulling the spring back is put into the arrow on release via the spring.  That is until stacking occurs.  Stacking occurs when the angle between the string and the bow tip approaches and exceeds 90 degrees.  Your leverage is decreased to the point that you are pulling against the length of the bow and not using your draw weight to increase the distance the spring travels and therefore the amount of work it can do on the arrow.  It's work you put into the bow that gets you nothing in return.

That bow is pure fantasy.  Nothing wrong with that as fantasy is cool but it's a very inefficient design.  Now there are ways, like asiatic designs that might make it work more for you but that is very advanced stuff.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline calico

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 05:43:00 PM »

Offline R.W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 06:22:00 PM »
Check out the "Spitfire Archery" site, and the Saluki site.

Both build bows that are very similar to the "videogame bow" minus the really garish embellishments.

Offline DesertFox

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 10:32:00 PM »
Originally posted by R.W.:
Check out the "Spitfire Archery" site, and the Saluki site.

Both build bows that are very similar to the "videogame bow" minus the really garish embellishments.
Got to agree with you on the garish comment. I think, if I were to try either of those, I would have to remove or understate some of those exaggerated decorations.
-How to make a bow-

Offline Bradford

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2010, 10:04:00 PM »
I like this post.. I am a new boyer.. about 1 1/2 years now.. build good bows and enjoy shooting them.
I also during the winter play World of Warcraft and have thought many times how cool it would be to build a bow that resembled those on the game.  I understand that some things just won't work, but was thinking that if you made a "shell" or "cover" that was the decoration on the outside of the limbs, it might still shoot well and look cool.. just a thought.
God gave you hands, use them

Offline DesertFox

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2010, 10:37:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bradford:
"shell" or "cover"
Something removable perhaps. Then it can look nice on a shelf, then be fully functional otherwise.
-How to make a bow-

Offline Bradford

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 10:53:00 AM »
Yes.. that would work.. or if you made the a take down recurve.. you could make the "shell" bolt to the limbs and stand away from the limbs at an inch.  So the limbs would work independent.
One of those things I will try down the road when I am really board.. but summer is here and time to play.
God gave you hands, use them

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©