Author Topic: New bowyer; list of tools?  (Read 308 times)

Offline David Dumke

• Trad Bowhunter
New bowyer; list of tools?
« on: May 21, 2010, 09:31:00 PM »
I'm very interested in traditional bowhunting and to save my self some money I was wanting to get in to bow building myself as a hobby as I will be attending college in the fall and as many of you may know, college+leisurely spending do NOT mix.  :p

My question:

What tools would be neccessary to build a bow? My father has an abundant supply of old tools from rummage sales so I would love to have a checklist for when I move back home following my highschool graduation.  :)
Hoyt Game Master TD Recurve- 48#'s @ 28"

Checkmate Hunter TD Recurve- 59#'s @ 28"

Offline Balding Kansan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New bowyer; list of tools?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 09:37:00 PM »
A bandsaw and wood rasps and some good clamps seem to be the three tools I use the most. I wish I would have got into building while I was at college. I had so much spare time and now I have hardly any.
I hate rudeness in a man...won't tolerate it. -Lonesome Dove
Hill Country Harvest Master
KennyM Swap bow

Offline DesertFox

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 10:04:00 PM »
You can get away with not having the bandsaw IF you can find someplace to cut your boards to a proper size. If you start with oak 1x2's from Home Depot, they are already the right size.
-How to make a bow-
Step one: Make a pile of shavings.
Step two: Shoot your new bow!

Offline tim roberts

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 10:06:00 PM »
One can get by with some good rasps, a few files, scraper, and a draw knife.  If you want to get fancy then you will need a band saw, or jig saw.  An osilating belt sander can help, but not needed.......
Tim

TGMM Family of the Bow

I guess if we run into the bear that is making these tracks, we oughta just get off the trail.......He seems to like it!  
My good friend Rudy Bonser, while hunting elk up Indian Creek.

Offline shamus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010, 09:22:00 AM »

Offline David Dumke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2010, 11:26:00 AM »
Thank you all so much for the input. I'm looking forward to starting my first project. Hopefully before the end of june. Not only does my father have the hand tools but he inherited the urge to find a good deal on anything from my late grandfather and had the DIY virus for a while before he fell to ill to actually start any projects. The garage needs some rearranging but I think I could make it in to a neat little bowyer shop. It's surprising how excited I am to get in to something I had no interest in nearly all my life. (hunting of any sort.)

Offline tim roberts

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2010, 02:40:00 PM »
Be careful.........It is highly addictive, and at times somewhat frustrating, have fun!!!!  Can't wait to see what you come up with!!!
Tim

TGMM Family of the Bow

I guess if we run into the bear that is making these tracks, we oughta just get off the trail.......He seems to like it!  
My good friend Rudy Bonser, while hunting elk up Indian Creek.

Offline David Dumke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2010, 08:14:00 PM »
I have the patience of a toddler when it comes to things like this. I hope to make works of art in the future. I've always like making wood projects. Never found a reason to use hand tools and quickly got bored because of the repetativeness and the "it just sits there" factor with making tables and such.

Offline scrub-buster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2010, 09:59:00 PM »
Check your local craigslist.com.  You can find some great deals on used tools.  I picked up a Ryobi belt/disc sander this morning for $25.  The same person had a delta 9" band saw for $25 also.
AKA Osage Outlaw

Online Cherry Tree

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2010, 08:31:00 AM »
Well the guys pretty much said it all but i think a big thing to have is a Moisture Detector.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2010, 09:18:00 AM »
There are some buildalongs on my site. Jawge
 http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/

Offline David Dumke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2010, 11:37:00 AM »
Originally posted by George Tsoukalas:
There are some buildalongs on my site. Jawge
  http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/  
This will be greatly helpful. I'm reading through the board bow build along right now as that is what I'm going to start with.

I read through a bunch of more advanced build alongs last night and it got me even more excited. seeing the beautiful would and the laminant backing through fiber glass. Boy I'm PUMPED!!!

Offline walkabout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2010, 12:34:00 PM »
one good tool for anyone to have is the tillering gizmo, its helped me countless times when my eyes were no longer seeing the stiff spots. easy to use and does its job very well. theres a build along for making one on here if you search"tillering gizmo"
Richard

Offline David Dumke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2010, 08:35:00 PM »
Originally posted by walkabout:
one good tool for anyone to have is the tillering gizmo, its helped me countless times when my eyes were no longer seeing the stiff spots. easy to use and does its job very well. theres a build along for making one on here if you search"tillering gizmo"
Thanks for the heads up. I was leary of searching for that because I know the search on TG is set on finding 200 posts and if there aren't it won't show up.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©