Author Topic: Advice on a youth bow build...  (Read 310 times)

Offline SteveR

• Trad Bowhunter
Advice on a youth bow build...
« on: May 24, 2010, 10:51:00 AM »
I'm a fairly successful luthier dealing mainly in steel-string acoustic guitars for the last 12 years or so.  My son is now 8 years old and getting interested in archery/hunting and I would really like to build him a nice handmade bow.  My luthier trade has allowed me to acquire some really nice woods.  I was considering using a q'sawn black walnut for the grip/riser and a curly maple/mad rosewood/c. maple lam for the limbs.  All the stock is very quartersawn and of the highest quality.  My lams are approximately: c. maple .110", mad rw .090", and c. maple .090".  I want to get close to a 20-25# draw wt @24" or so.  My son is 48" tall and growing like a weed.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
"We might not be big but we sure are slow"--author unknown

Offline walkabout

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Advice on a youth bow build...
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 11:59:00 AM »
i havent built any lam bows but i did build a wood bow for my son, who's going to be 7 in october. its 15#@25", and he says its too hard for him to pull. your son will be a bit stronger but i would try to be sure he can pull that weight without struggling.
Richard

Offline greyhawk39

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Advice on a youth bow build...
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 08:22:00 PM »
Master crafters has a 1.5x48"one piece recurve bow kit and 3 rivers has the form for that particular kit.All done with dowls and  elastic bands on the form.Or get the plans from master crafters and make the form yourself.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©