Author Topic: "Le Chasseur Noire"  (Read 789 times)

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
"Le Chasseur Noire"
« on: May 25, 2010, 10:45:00 PM »
This bow was an impulsive project. I had started another bow that wasn't going the way I wanted it to and decided to put it off for awhile but still felt like building a bow. I decided to try my first black glass bow, and also to go for a bit more weight than I can really use myself, because I had someone who might like to have it. I had already established that I can build bows in my weight range; I felt it was time to reach upwards a bit.

I ended up with the following:

.040 black glass
.135 lamboo, very slight taper of .005
.090 yew tapered .015
.135 lamboo, very slight taper of .005
.040 black glass
zebrawood riser

It came out at:    66"     45@28

The finished bow is really beautiful. I love the combined effect of the black glass with white bamboo lams divided by the red/orange yew lam. The zebrawood riser just sets it all off. It's a bit too wide limbed to be considered a true Hill style, definitely a flatbow. As I worked on it, the black glass contrast with the woods somehow brought the name "Black Archer" to mind, but, for some totally strange reason, in French... which I do not speak. I had Ann check, then checked again myself on an internet translater, and the French word for "archer" is... get ready... "archer". Somehow, that word being the same in both languages just didn't ring my bell. However, I did come up with an alternate selection: "Black Hunter", which in French is "Le Chasseur Noir".

Here's a nice shot of the bow during finishing. You can see what I mean about the wood/glass contrast.

Unstrung, my usual very slight deflex or string follow.

Strung

Riser, shelf side... lizard skin wrap

Riser, offside

I’m real pleased with this bow.   It’s a looker and shoots just fine.

Dick
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline Warberg

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: "Le Chasseur Noire"
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 10:48:00 PM »
Very Nice Bow Dick,,

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 10:56:00 AM »
Dick, what a beautiful bow. Simple elegance if ever... I like your work as well as your sense of humor.  My daddy would have been a huge fan of Old Phartt's Archery!
Stan

Offline Canadabowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 11:08:00 AM »
Beautiful bow Dick!! Do you get that slight stringfollow with a straight form or is your form built with the deflex in it. Bob
"non illegitimus carborundum est"

Offline bjansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 11:42:00 AM »
Excellent bow Dick...I was going to ask the exact same question Bob did!

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 12:19:00 PM »
Thanks, guys...    

I lay up on aluminum based forms... I have three surfaces:   one form is 2" alum. channel 1/4" thick mounted on a clear fir plank.  It has strap of 1/4" aluminum milled to 1 3/4" wide on the other surface.  That gives me two surface widths to work with for different widths of glass.    That was my first form, as I started out making wider flatbows than I generally do now.   My other form, which now gets the most use, is 1 1/2" aluminum channel 1/8" thick, again mounted on a clear fir plank.  

Using these aluminum forms, I seem to always get just a tiny bit, like 1/2" to 3/4", of string follow.   I'm not sure why this happens, but I think it's due to different rates of heat expansion between the aluminum form and the actual bow material while in the oven.  At least, that's all I can figure out.  

The whole setup works really well for me, since I prefer a bit of string follow as opposed to front loading the draw due to my physical limitations.  Also, these aluminum forms are extremely durable and easy to clean up.   Of course, a straight form also makes the work easy.  

Incidentally, since I'm trying not only to make bows like those of the 50's but to do it the same way it was done back then, I clamp.   You can see a buildalong of my forms and a full buildalong of one of my bows on the Old Phartt's archery pages at:  www.oldpharttsarchery.com

, w, one a piece of 1/4
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline walkabout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 12:24:00 PM »
another great looking bow dick. i always enjoy seeing what you build, as im very partial to the vintage looking bows. great job
Richard

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 02:30:00 PM »
Great job buddy!  

I get the same effect on my "straight" form.  Always just a touch of string follow.  If you want a perfectly straight one, then you need to start with a slight amount of reflex.  I think they all settle in with a little string follow after exercising the limbs a while, you just don't notice the curvy ones.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline scottm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2010, 06:47:00 PM »
Great job!

Offline Traxx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2010, 09:42:00 PM »
Hey Dick!!!!!
You by chance,gonna bring that bow to Western States?
Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye. Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark.

Offline Northwest_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2010, 09:59:00 PM »
Could teh string follow be as a result of the extra pressure from the riser being molded in at teh same time?  It does usually develop around the upper portion of the limb.
Michael

** Poppa can we go out and shoot bows and arrows? **  My boys

Offline Swissbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2010, 08:20:00 PM »
Great job, Dick ! That bow is just looking fantastic. Nice and clean lines. Like the French man would say "Le chasseur noir est vraiment magnifique !" I never really liked that black glass, until I've seen your bow. The lizard skin is also very cool !

I also got a little set on my R/D form. It's shows after a couple arrows have been shoot with the bow. I don't mind as long as it's a shooter.

----------
Andy

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2010, 07:15:00 AM »
Another dandy Dick!  I've always favored clear glass, but I'm getting an itch for colored glass after seeing this one, the last one you made (I think you called it "Sweet Georgia Brown), and making a black glass/snake skin backed one for a buddy of mine.

I also get some string follow on a straight limbed design.  When I noticed it on the first bow I built, I thought I did something wrong or didn't let it cool long enough after taking it out of the oven.  I'll bet all bows take some set.  I'll have to compare the recurve I built earlier this year to it's original form.  Not that it really matters - just curious.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2010, 12:02:00 PM »
Update...    Took "Chasseur Noire" to the Western Regional, where it was quite a hit.   Most importantly, Clay, the guy I had in mind when I built it, loves it.   He didn't mind that it came in a bit lighter than I wanted as he draws 29 1/4", which made up the difference.  

As I'm sure you'll see in other posts, the WSTR was a rough go... very cold rain and wind (but loads of fun).  I gave up after two and a half days... was just getting too cold and stiff to consider staying wise.   I left Clay happily matching arrows to the bow and enjoying shooting it.   Clay's a knife smith, so now somewhere down the line I have a hand forged rasp knife coming.   Looking forward to that.

I guess there's been enough input now that I accept that most bows run on straight forms are likely to pick up some string follow.  I was thinking it was my aluminums, but guess not.   That's OK, since i consider this a 'good thing'.

Thanks for all the nice comments.  When I get over the little sore throat and stiffness I seem to have picked up at the shoot, I'll be back at the bench and try to do even better.
Dick in Seattle

Offline Hermann From Bavaria

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2010, 04:34:00 PM »
cool lookin bow dick!
i like that pouristic, straight sticks.
howie hill would be pleased!

mfg
in past even the future was better, so what do you want?

Offline Traxx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2010, 07:11:00 PM »
I didnt shoot this bow,but i did draw it a couple times,and will tell ya,it draws very smooth.
Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye. Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2010, 09:51:00 PM »
Great lookin bow Dick!!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2010, 02:45:00 AM »
This is my first D shape longbow and I have to say I love it. Dick did a great job on it.  Dick and I managed to shoot a couple rounds in between rain squalls on Friday.  Dick visited us in camp for dinner after shooting together.  He entertained us all with his wit and stories.  Dick is always a great guy to shoot and spend time with.

The day after Dick brought the bow bye our camp to drop it off, Stick and String Archery  loaned me some test arrows.  I ended up having a fun and eye opening first shot string.  I was expecting some hand shock with the skinny grip and D shape limbs.  The 60 lb spine wood arrow with 125 grain tips was shooting right where I was looking.  No handshock at all and easy on the draw.  I am planning to hunt deer with her this season.

I had a hankering going for a Zebra wood bow and Dick took care of that for me with style.

Dick thanks for the awesome bow she is a shooter.  I have started the work on your knife and will keep you posted as that moves forward to completion.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Traxx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2010, 07:39:00 PM »
AWW OK!!!!
Now i know who you are.LOL
Im the Guy,that Dick brought by to look at your bow,on Saturday mornin.

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2010, 01:58:00 AM »
Yep,  I remember you.  I make the tomahawks
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©