Author Topic: Backing questions  (Read 373 times)

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
Backing questions
« on: May 27, 2010, 03:52:00 AM »
I am in the process of building a 68" board bow, I want to hit 50lbs @27" I am ready to back it but i have a few questions.

I want to back it with paper, then later add snakeskin. Would this be too much backing?

Could i apply the skins after i seal the bow?

This is my first shot at bow building and any help is appreciated.
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Backing questions
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 07:20:00 AM »
THere is a how to posted in the How-to-Resources in the Archive section here on skinning a bow that has a finish on it.

Personally I would back with your paper then sand with a lght sandpaper and then size the back of the bow with titebond 3 (just a thin coat smoothed on the back and let dry).

I don't think you woulkd want to size your skins
 but I would skin before I sealed or finished the bow it will make your skins pop out.

Alot of good info here on skinning bows do a search and you will find all kinds of stuff.

Other Guys will be along here sometime and give you some great advice for sure.

Goodluck with it and we do expect pics LOL

Stiks
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline walkabout

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Backing questions
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 11:01:00 AM »
yep just wipe a thin coat of titebond glue on the paper before you glue on the snakeskins and let it dry. they hold moisture for a little longer than most stuff and doing this will help insure that moisture wont make its way back into the wood and paper. the combination of paper and snakeskin shouldnt be too much, ive seen people put snakeskins over burlap and other stuff . skin before you put on your finish though. also be careful you dont stretch the skin while glueing it on or you will have gaps between the scales.
Richard

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©