3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: how much weight to add up front????  (Read 196 times)

Offline Gaff

• Trad Bowhunter
how much weight to add up front????
« on: February 12, 2008, 06:15:00 PM »
ok carbon gurus, i have a question for ya. i just bought 14 gold tip 35-55 from the classifieds. the lengths range from 28" to full length. i draw about 26.5" so a 28" arrow is about perfect. im shootin 145 grain heads as well.

shooting in my basement ive noticed that the  28" arrows hit nock right, but they go where im looking. so i think the arrows are a bit to stiff.
so i was plannin on ordering some brass inserts for the front. (my thoughts were that by adding 50-100 grains, it would make them fly better)

so to make a long story short(er) would it be crazy to add 100 grains, or would the 50 grain inserts do the trick??  :confused:  

i bareshafted a 29 1/2" arrow w/ 150 grain head and they fly good.

thanks in advance  jamie

ps i would like all the arrows to be 28" in the end.
----------------->>>>>>>
Jamie

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: how much weight to add up front????
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 06:27:00 PM »
jamie..could you give us some info on your bow set up....string material, is the riser cut to center, longbow or recurve and what poundage are you drawing the 28 inch arrow......at this point i'd agree they are stiff....
TGMM Family of the Bow

"There's a race of men that dont fit in, A race that can't stay still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will"  Robert Service

Offline Pinecone

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 07:14:00 PM »
If perfect flight is obtained from a 29 1/2 inch arrow with a 150 grain BH, but your desire is to use a 28" arrow with a 145 grain head, you may well need to add 100 grains of additional weight up front.  Your best bet is to bare shaft a 28" shaft with multiple heavy point weights until you find what works.  

Claudia
Pinecone

Offline Gaff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 07:37:00 PM »
the bow im shooting is a samick verna longbow.
drawing 50@28". i draw to about 27". i dont think it cut to center, and the string is a D-97 16 strand.

at some point when i feel confident enough to hunt with the bow, i would like to use woodsmans, so thats why i want to stick to 150 grain heads.
as far as the 28" arrows, i dont like to have a lot of arrow hanging off the front of the bow. and my thought was if they are to stiff now, i could just add brass to the front and i would be ok. but im new so thats where you guys, and gals come in.   ;)  

thanks  jamie   :wavey:
----------------->>>>>>>
Jamie

Offline kahunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 07:38:00 PM »
I think if I were you I would get a few of all the different field point weights and use them to find out how much weight you need before ordering anything specific.  Actually, I'm about to do that very thing.  ;)

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 08:11:00 PM »
GT 35/55 have basically the same spine at 28" you need to shoot them for yourself.You have to adjust the dynamic spine by shooting and or trimming them down and or adding weight to obtain the flight you would want.There is really no set formula to go by just suggestions to start with.There are alot of variables,the shooter(you),the bow type,the string type,the length of the arrow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©