Author Topic: First bow build (Pyramid bow red oak)  (Read 392 times)

Offline JesuslovinGoose

• Trad Bowhunter
First bow build (Pyramid bow red oak)
« on: June 14, 2010, 08:33:00 PM »
So here is the bow that I started building from 4est trekker's build along and so far here is the beginning stages of my build and some a bit later

Offline JesuslovinGoose

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: First bow build (Pyramid bow red oak)
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 08:36:00 PM »
I've now got to the tillering part and I need some ideas as to what the bow is looking like... where to leave and take off some wood.  Ideas from yall would be splendid.  Here's the bow at 25" strung with a string the length of the bow. I'm thinking the left tip is a bit stiff but other than that I'm at a loss

Offline vanillabear?

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 08:52:00 PM »

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 08:17:00 PM »
I agree with vanillabear, goose. Rt limb is bending a little more.
Looks familiar.
Stan

Offline JesuslovinGoose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 11:19:00 AM »
Thanks for the input yall.  Now for another random question... should I ever be pulling this bow past my intended draw weight? 50-55lbs @ 29" is what I'm shooting for and I'm still extremely wet behind the ears.  Without the short string I had it 64lbs at 28" because I wasn't checking the weight ever before thinking I should.  No cracks and for my untrained eyes I couldn't see any hinges or stiffness.

I did see that I should put it on a short string and take a 4" piece of wood and run it along the limbs and look for flat spots.  Any other tips?

Offline walkabout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 02:41:00 PM »
generally you want to get it bending about 10" at about 5 lbs under your draw weight, then move to shorter string. pulling more than your intended draw weight will cause it to take excess set.
Richard

Offline JesuslovinGoose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2010, 10:52:00 PM »
So I just had some time to work on the bow and I'm getting closer but by no means am I done.  Here's a picture with 5" of brace height and it drawn to 18".  It's currently 40lbs at 18" and I can see some serious flaws but I would LOVE a trained eye to tell me where to take the wood off.  I have some ideas but I want to see if the mesh up with some more "experienced" folks.  

Thanks for the help so far and I might be afflicted more than addicted to this bow making stuff!

Offline Dublin Joe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2010, 11:35:00 PM »
The gizmo knows.  It allows me to see where to remove wood to get a more even tiller.  I'm a noobie but I believe I have a better chance of success because of it.
Everyone's better off when everyone's better off.

Offline walkabout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2010, 12:42:00 AM »
indeed, the tillering gizmo is very useful.looks like the left outer third may be a bit stiff, but its hard to tell with the grainy picture.
Richard

Offline JesuslovinGoose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2010, 10:10:00 AM »
So I had no clue what "gizmo" yall were talking about for the past few days.  I even asked a buddy who shoots with me and he looked at me with a blank face like I didn't know what I was talking about.  I still admit that I don't know what I'm talking about but I decided randomly to search gizmo... what do ya know there is such a thing as a tillering gizmo.  I'll make one up and for sure the gizmo will show me how awful my first creation is.

Offline walkabout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2010, 10:58:00 AM »
it doesnt look too bad so far, and it being a pyramid design lends to easier tillering than any other design. you may just have small stiff spots that need light sanding.i have a barebones gizmo, a block with a hole drilled for the pencil to fit in. didnt have the need to make a fancy one, although im going to make a better one eventually with angled ends to get closer to the tips.
Richard

Offline Dublin Joe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2010, 10:58:00 AM »
Your first creation isn't awful.  In fact it looks pretty good to me.  Granted, I'm a beginning bowyer, but your tillering so far is pretty even and that's what's important.

Jawge's given me the advice of keeping the bend well away from the handle so I'd tell you to make a line 2-3 inches either side of yours and not remove wood within that area.  That leaves less of the limb to bend but will keep you from losing your grip, literally.

It's the same when you get to the tips; leave 5-6 inches alone until you've got no other option.  You still have from mid-limb out to tiller but go methodically... use a scraper rather than a rasp and keep the edges rounded over so you don't raise a splinter.  I mark the area to be removed with a squiggly pencil line then scrape the marks off, then blend that newly scraped section into the sections around it with a couple of scrapes.

After the scraping I restring the bow and exercise it on the tillering stick, gradually working my string down to where it was, then to its new location, but not all the way down right off the bat.  After 20-30 flexes at this new, longer, draw length you can put the string in a slot and recheck (gizmo/photo.)

I hope this wasn't stuff you already knew.

Before you finish the tillering you want to do your finish sanding (back & edges) and rounding over the grip.  That way any changes brought about are absorbed into the tillering and not something with surprise consequences.

Keep up the good work.

Joel
Everyone's better off when everyone's better off.

Offline vanillabear?

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2010, 12:08:00 PM »

Offline JesuslovinGoose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2010, 01:16:00 PM »
I've got it on a short string now.  Braced 5 1/2" and pulling 42lbs at 22 inches so she's coming along.  I'll have to get a picture using a camera that isn't my phone but I've halted progress until I make a "gizmo" to help with any issues.  Thanks dublin for the info and I am trying to stay away from the tips and the handle best I can.  

Either yall are way too nice or a pyramid bow IS fairly simple.  Thanks for all the advice and I'll shoot an update when I get a chance to work on it.

Offline walkabout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2010, 01:42:00 PM »
lol the pyramid design relies on the fact that a piece of wood that is twice as wide is twice as strong, which is why they taper straight to the tips and are easy to tiller.
Richard

Offline JesuslovinGoose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2010, 10:03:00 PM »
So after my Saturday looked like this...

I didn't get much time to work on my bow until today.  I made a "gizmo"and boy does that make a difference!

I have it down to 50.5 lbs @ 28" and it seems to look good.  Now I just have to finish sanding and put a grip and arrow rest on it to finish er out.

Offline JesuslovinGoose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2010, 10:04:00 PM »
Gosh my pictures are huge and I'm not wire savvy enough to fix em up on photobucket

Offline SoNevada Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2010, 04:27:00 AM »
Looks great!
The doom of man...that he forgets!

Offline walkabout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2010, 10:19:00 AM »
looks god, glad you got the gizmo done and are getting the bow finished to your liking.
Richard

Offline UnderControl16

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2010, 03:09:00 PM »
Looking good. Some questions for ya cause i plan on making on simular to your soon. How long is it ntn? How much set did it take? what is your girth at the handle and then at the nock? Can't wait to see a finished picture it looks great right now.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©