3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: White Feathers  (Read 693 times)

Offline Arco

• Trad Bowhunter
White Feathers
« on: February 12, 2008, 08:29:00 PM »
I am thinking about building a set of arrows with orange wraps and white feathers. Has anyone ever had any negative experiences using plain white feathers (ie spooking game, feathers getting dingy looking etc...)?
I've done so much with so little for so long that now I can do anything with nothing in no time at all...

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: White Feathers
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 08:33:00 PM »
Never had any bad experiances when I shot all white feathers That was one of my nicknames somewhere else Tom Whitefeathers AND they turn a great shade of RED!

Offline Recurve50LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 08:37:00 PM »
My hunting friend calls those white feathers the kiss of death! When the deer see them white feathers their white flags go up and they bust out of the area.
Turkey Creek Longbow
62" 45# @ 28"

Thunder Stick Mag
56" 45# @ 28"

Offline BUFF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 08:50:00 PM »
I like white feathers but I keep them covered when hunting during Gun season. I don't care to be shot at

Offline longstick

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 08:51:00 PM »
Ive not had any problems with them personaly,you maybe just have to be sure to draw on the critter when he aint looking. White makes them a bit easier to find as well, mine are all 3 white

Marty...I like that new avatar ya have there buddy
>>-TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Offline redfish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 09:25:00 PM »
I had a quiver of all white feathers once and felt that I was spooking game due to it. I then made a cover for the fletching. Now I try to use other colors.
El Paisano
Ebi-kuyuutsi

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 09:44:00 PM »
Never had a bit of problems with white crown and white feathers.  I'm inclined to think the blob of human moving those white feathers around will spook game long before the color does.  

Like Buff says, I keep them covered when hunting during gun season for obvious reasons!!
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline Labs4me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 09:55:00 PM »
I'm fortunate to live where I hunt, so I typically get out 5-7 times a week during the season. During the early season it is common to see at least several deer each hunt, albeit mostly does and yearlings. By the time the pre-rut rolls around, in a typical year, I'll have enjoyed the company of dozens of (mostly antlerless) deer. My point is, I see lots of deer and they in turn have ample opportunity to see me.

I have mostly used red, red barred, orange, and natural barred feathers as my fletching of choice over the years with no issues or negative consequences as far as being picked off goes. Last year, after posing a similar question on this forum I experimented with white crest wraps and white feathers for the first time. It may be relevant to note that I use three, 5.5" banana maxis.

Hunting the same properties (and really the same deer) that I have in years past, it became apparent to me that deer do appear to notice white fletching moreso than red, orange, and natural barred fletching. Even while sitting completely motionless as just an observer, with no intent of attempting a shot - with my bow hanging on a limb or laying across my lap- more deer seemed to notice the white fletching.

This was my firsthand experience using white fletching.
"You must not only aim right, but draw the bow with all your might." - Henry David Thoreau (Before the advent of compound bows with 85% letoff)

Offline slow walker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2008, 10:16:00 PM »
I don't see a reason to carry/possibly wave around inadvertently, a color that deer see and associate with danger.  I like yellow.  I think they are more visible than white and just dang sexy.  I use all yellow three fletch.

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2008, 10:27:00 PM »
i use all white feathers, white arrow wraps, and white knocks.
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2008, 10:27:00 PM »
I used all white feathers for a while and never saw anything wrong with that combo. Don't use 'em any more simply because I prefer all flourescent yellow for even greater visability/findability...
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2008, 01:04:00 AM »
Labs makes a good point, however, I don't believe it's the color white as much as it is the amount of light reflected by it. That is the reason white is so visible in low light.

Compare a new white feather to one you've been stumping with for awhile and you'll see how much more light (glare) is reflected by the new one.  Same goes with using gloss white instead of satin white for the crown.  You can get about the same shooting benefit from roughed up white feathers without the reflective drawbacks.

No offense, but deer do not associate white with danger.  Deer use their tails for a whole lot more communicating than running away. White is all over the woods naturally, just without the glare.
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2008, 03:36:00 AM »
I've used white feathers for about a year now as I moved to them due to seeing this colour the best when the arrow is in flight.

Some good points made above but from my accounts so far I've had no troubles hunting deer with white feathers.

I only hunt spot and stalk as well as ambush and I find if you've got you hunting techniques down right, with some luck this happens...

12 yard shot from a kneeling position and this young fella was dinner. I had him and some does around me for 15 odd minutes. I was waiting out on Mr Big hanging just out of bow range... as they always do!

Hope this helps.

A.K
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline varmint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2008, 06:35:00 AM »
I've used white fletch,cresting,and nocks for about 90% of my hunting arrows over the last 8-10 years and manage to take 3-5 deer a season.I've never noticed the deer being alerted to them specifically.I do however remove my quiver and hang it beside me while in the tree stand.
Bowhunting......A way of life and death.

Offline slayer1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2008, 07:36:00 AM »
I use white feathers all the time. I have never had a problem with deer seeing them. I took 5 deer last season all with white feathers.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2008, 07:40:00 AM »
I've use them off and on.  Don't anymore. Had too many hogs see them and shy away.  I hunt shadows mostly and I guess the white feathers on the arrow just show up too well.

I always have a cover over my fletch in the stalker quiver but the arrow on the bow is visible.

I use "stealth" colors now and can't find the darn things if I miss.

LOL

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Big'n

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2008, 08:06:00 AM »
I used to use white wraps and white and chartreuse fletchings but it seemed to me that I was getting noticed more than usual. I switched to pink (thanks to Mr. Eichler) and I actually see my arrows better in flight and can find them easier. May be coincidence but I didn't seem to get noticed as much this year with the pink.
"If you want just one thing too much in life....Your life will likely be a disappointment" Augustus McCrae

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2008, 10:53:00 AM »
I use white feathers, crown dip and nocks on my practice arrows, but use barred feathers on my hunting arrows.  Don't think it makes much difference if you hunt from a tree, but white at ground level is pretty easy to pick up.  My brother uses flourescent yellow feathers with white crowns and nocks.  Hasn't been a problem for him from trees, but doesn't hunt on the ground much.

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2008, 11:10:00 AM »
I love the look of white feathers going toward the target, but I use mostly yellow or chartreuse.  I rarely cap dip my arrows....I'm lazy about that, but I think I'll try some wraps this year....below the fletching, just to be different.

Offline Dave W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2008, 11:27:00 AM »
I have always used a white cock feather since it helps with nocking an early morning hunting arrow in the dark.  I usually use red camo or barred hen feathers.  My $0.02...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©