3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: White Feathers  (Read 694 times)

Offline thedrof06

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: White Feathers
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2008, 12:22:00 PM »
I shoot solid white feathers on nearly all my arrows, never had any problems with deer. Had a flock of turkeys pick them up while I was in the tree but even they didn't take off running.  Seemed to be more of curiousity for them.

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2008, 04:16:00 PM »
I like the way all white shows up in flight and on the target. It showed up very well on the deer I shot (the one on my avitar) and I knew shot placement was good! I take my quiver off my bow however. I am experementing with brown barred fletching and a white tracer with a bright nock so maybe I won't have to take my quiver off.
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Offline dj

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2008, 04:53:00 PM »
A late January hunt this  year found me on the ground in my ghille suit and my friend in a tree.  Around noon I decided to take a short walk down the edge of the woods where my friend was able to occasionally see me through breaks in the trees.  His comment afterwards......."You've got to get rid of those white feathers.  There were times when you were completely invisible with the ghille, but those white fletches on your arrows always showed up like a neon sign!!!!"  I decided then and there to use those turkey feathers in the freezer.  No more white for me. dj
"Carve a little wood, pull a few strings, and sometimes magic happens".....Gepetto

Offline hickstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2008, 06:05:00 PM »
this doe didn't seem to mind the white wraps and naners...

I also use chartreuse and like both...one morning while gathering my gear in the dark, I accidentally hit my chartreuse fletch with a black light.  man DO THOSE THINGS GLOW....also the flo. yellow nocks glow too....so much for non-UV camo    :)
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2008, 07:21:00 PM »
I never had a problem using white fletch. They help kill deer just as well as any other color I have used.    :bigsmyl:
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline baretraks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2008, 07:36:00 PM »
I dont care if your wearing a gillie suit, if your moving around, a deer is gonna see you, no matter what color your feathers are. I've taken a lot of game with white feathers, and only got busted when I was not paying attention and moving around.
" Life is hard. It's even harder if your stupid."
-John Wayne

Offline Rufus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2008, 08:01:00 PM »
I can't see that Fred Bear had any problems using white feathers. Things that move are what critters hone in on.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2008, 08:14:00 PM »
Originally posted by Rufus:
I can't see that Fred Bear had any problems using white feathers. Things that move are what critters hone in on.
I'll second that - it ain't so much the color, it's definitely the movement.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline JDinPA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2008, 08:34:00 PM »
I've never had a problem with white feathers.

Offline SOS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2008, 08:41:00 PM »
Pretty white fletching makes for pretty red fletching  :bigsmyl:  

This arrow was four fletch all white on a doe, similar arrow killed a nice buck a month later.  The white capped with white and barred feather took two more deer.  I do use a fletch cover, to cut down on the flash especially still hunting.  Maybe not such a problem in a tree.  Cheers

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2008, 10:51:00 PM »
Been using all white or mostly white feathers (2 of 3) for over a decade, and have killed everything with them, from the ground and from the tree.   I think the ability to see my arrows in flight,  and at the point of impact, is much greater IMO than occasionally being "busted"   by  them.   And I can't really say that I  get busted any more than I usually would anyway.   So there!      :p  

I started using them one year when I failed to see my arrow mortally hit a nice buck one evening  in failing light, and hence, waited on bloodtrailing due to insufficient spoor.  Next morning I found the  deer in short  order, but so  had the coyotes.   I had used a dark green stained shaft with grey barred feathers,  and the dark colors got "lost" in the action.  I've shot white ever since.   Also, using white fletchings has made me  a better shooter,  as  I can see my shots in my peripheral vision more clearly.
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline Tree man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2008, 11:51:00 PM »
FWIW, I occassionally shoot white fletching but have some concerns about them flagging more than other colors AND I do NOT find them to be the most visible in flight. I love pink 4 fletch. Under all conditions I have encountered they are tops for visibility in flight and the most findable color in all environments I hunt in.
Hot pink if you are man enough!

Offline Mike Brown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2008, 05:15:00 AM »
I have been  using all white feathers and all white SHAFTS for over 20 years with no problems.

Offline LV2HUNT

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2008, 07:22:00 AM »
I have had at least one white fletching for as long as I can remember. Sometimes I have had two, it just depended on what I had on hand. The other fletching have always been something bright and I cannot ever remember an instance where I thought I was busted because of fletching color. I hunt from the ground or trees depending on the situation.

I have never really had a problem with keeping them clean either except of course after they have done their job  ;) . Even then I have cleaned them up to a reasonable level.

As you will see in one of these recent pics I have even gone to a reflective band on them. I do not use wraps anymore as I had a problem with my severe helical peeling them off.

Yes, we shoot a lot of does around here  :D  

Offline Jim Picarelli

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2008, 07:26:00 AM »
Originally posted by rastaman:
i use all white feathers, white arrow wraps, and white knocks.
Me too.Never had a problem with getting deer in close(as in 10yds or under)
67" Hill Tembo, 50@27
67" Hill Half Breed, 53@27
66" Hill Redman, 48@27
66" Hill Cheetah, 55@27
66" Hill Big Five, 50@27

Offline Scott J. Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2008, 07:41:00 AM »
There have been times when I swear they gave me away.  For what it is worth, I think they can be a negative in low light conditions,  that is when UV light is most visible.

I placed my quiver under a blacklight and the white feather did glow.  Game also sees in that specturm.  

I still use them from time to time, because they are so easy to track.  I have no problem in a ground blind, but have switched to yellow as the next best choice for visibility.

However to be honest, most of my white feather use are on practice when getting use to a new bow, or the 3D range.

I have wanted to try the white goose feathers, I might go back to white if the UV is eliminated. I would like to hear from others on the subject.
Black Widow SAV Recurve 60inch "Ironwood" 62@28
Black Widow PLX longbow 62inch "Osage" 52@26

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2008, 01:27:00 PM »
I agree w/BUFF dang near got shot once during gun season due to all white feathers. Lucky he can't aim.

Second, I like all yellow or yellow barred, cant see good as the white but then I dont catch a stray round either. As far as spooking deer?? I never had a problem using white.

Later

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2008, 01:43:00 PM »
I agree it's probably movement more than the white that flag the deer. But put them together which, is needed for drawing the bow, and it doubles the problem. I have quiver issues. Don't like the covers. Don't like having to take them off my bow. Don't like a back quiver for hunting deer because I use a backpack. I like to hunt with some wind so I can get away with some movement. Shot an arrow with dark fletching and a bright nock and white tracer. Excellant visabiltiy on the target. Not sure if it is so visable in flight. Definitely worth shooting some more.
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Offline hickstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2008, 02:17:00 PM »
I should also mention that this past fall I saw info on homemade lighted nocks and tried them and love them!...thats far and above white fletch for inflight visibility.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2008, 06:10:00 PM »
I don't just hunt deer, I hunt big deer. These deer are 4 to 6 years in age and I don't have any problem with white feathers. Heck I have white wraps on as well. i DON'T BELIEVE THE DEER SEE THE WHITE MORE THAN THEY SEE MAYBE, MOVEMENT.My .02
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©