Author Topic: Fixed up your tradbow Boswell...  (Read 939 times)

Offline fish n chicks

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fixed up your tradbow Boswell...
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2010, 12:52:00 PM »
Originally posted by DesertFox:
Oh that is so cool! I have to try a handle like that! Well, not EXACTLY like that... that would be like stealing   :p  

Seriously though, stuff like this makes me realize how much I have to learn.
I'm a firm believer that ergonomics promote finer shooting. And i'm also a believer that if it's on this site, it's cause we're sharing knowledge, so use it if you like, just be prepared for A LOT of rasping and filing and sanding... which is pretty much par for any bow lol

Offline fish n chicks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2010, 12:54:00 PM »
Thanks again for the pat on the back ya'll. I'm really excited cause this is my fourth bow  since learning in january and I don't see myself stopping anytime soon. I figured I'd start with one and see where it went but now I just want to hang in the shop all dang day!

Offline formerbutcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2010, 01:06:00 PM »
Sweet bow fish n chicks !
It's a great day to be alive !!

Offline NEProf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2010, 03:05:00 PM »
What kind of wood did you use? I agree, one of the nicest looking board bows I have seen.

Offline fish n chicks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2010, 10:10:00 AM »
Originally posted by NEProf:
What kind of wood did you use? I agree, one of the nicest looking board bows I have seen.
Thank you! I used a red oak 1 x 4 from home depot and 1/8" x 3 & 1/2" x 3 x 24" long purpleheart from woodcraft.

Offline scottm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2010, 11:00:00 AM »
Beatiful bow, Fish!

Offline Boswell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2010, 01:28:00 PM »
Well guy, I got a big long cardboard tube in the mail yesterday morning. Could not wait to open it up to see what was in there. As soon as I got the end cut off the tube my heart began to sink. I seen the tip was broken.

pulled it out and got it unpacked and notice that the other tip was also busted.  :(

Neither of these were due to lack of packing, It was packed up very well.
Made for a bad day at work yesterday after seeing that fist thing in the morning.
My question is would I be able to glue them back on?
They would be just like tip overlays would they not?

Very pretty bow, bad deal that she was broken in shipping.

Boswell

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2010, 04:12:00 PM »
Boswell,

I hate to see that man. I wonder if you could maybe grind the oak overlay off and put some new tips on it. I wonder if maybe Fish would be willing to do this for you.

I'm sure he is gonna be heart broke when he see's this post.

I bet it is not lost though, somebody will be along with some sound advice.

Stiks
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline kodiakkid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2010, 05:54:00 PM »
Man that's a bummer. I hate it for ya brother. Perhaps you could cut in more string grooves narrow the tips back down and still have a sweet bow. I'm not sure how they would hold up glued on unless you cut new grooves in. Maybe someone with more experience than myself will chime in. Hope you can figure something out. Paul<><
Always strive to do the right thing. Don't beat yourself down when you mess up. Ask for forgivness and keep on keeping on.

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2010, 06:41:00 PM »
That can be repaired or re-shaped. Either one, in my opinion!
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2010, 07:55:00 PM »
Looks like the grain was short and at too steep of an angle. Probably would have been fine if the shipper had handled it properly.  It should be easy enough to repair by removing the overlay(grinding or rasp) above the purpleheart and adding a new overlay.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline fish n chicks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2010, 09:54:00 AM »
Originally posted by Pat B:
Looks like the grain was short and at too steep of an angle. Probably would have been fine if the shipper had handled it properly.  It should be easy enough to repair by removing the overlay(grinding or rasp) above the purpleheart and adding a new overlay.
What does "grain was short and too steep of an angle" mean?

How the tips broke off the way they did doesn't even make sense unless the tube was crushed at the ends.

Offline fish n chicks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2010, 10:02:00 AM »
Bobby, as I told you in our pm's, the news made me sick to my stomach. It ruined my day and has certainly left me wanting to make this right. From looking at the pics, i've come up with a few suggestions.

First, glue them back on and reshape the tip if needed.

Second, reshape the bow tips where they brok off, file new string grooves, give me NTN length and I will make you a new string.

or

Send it back to me and I will either repair it if it's worth it, or replace the bow.

Bottom line, you not getting a fully funtioning thing of beauty out of this trade from me is NOT an option.

Please let me know what you decide to do so I can stop making myself sick about this.

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2010, 05:45:00 PM »
Good on you Fish.

Don't be sick over it bud, stuff happens and I'm sure it will be fine.
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2010, 05:55:00 PM »
I'm not criticizing the way you made it but see how short the break is. It probably got slammed on that end and that's what broke the tip. With the grain running the full length of the overlay it wouldn't break through like that. Under normal use it wouldn't have been a problem but you always have to consider the carrier and how they handle the packages.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2010, 08:51:00 PM »
Way to step up Fish!

No need to fell ill, that is a sweet bow and should be an easy fix. This was the carriers fault as I feel without that the bow would have held under normal use.

I never cared for board bows before but, this is the best looking board bow I have ever seen!
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline Boswell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2010, 10:12:00 PM »
Fish,
What pat said is what I'm sure happened. The package shows no damage at all. What I am thinking about doing is just try and glue them back on and see if they will hold. If not, I would like to send it back to you, to have it fixed. I am not doing this because I think it was your fault or anything. I am doing this because of the amazing craftsman ship of the bow. The bow is stunning. I would love to see the amazing bowyer that built it finish it. I would pay for shipping both ways. I just feel that I could never match the skill that you put into that bow.

If I glue the tips back on, what glue would you guys suggest?
Boswell

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2010, 10:41:00 PM »
That SUCKS!  Way too cool of a bow not to fix.  I'd go with a CA (cyanoacrylate) superglue.  Get the name brand stuff.  I like Loctite 407.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline fish n chicks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2010, 12:04:00 PM »
Originally posted by Pat B:
I'm not criticizing the way you made it but see how short the break is. It probably got slammed on that end and that's what broke the tip. With the grain running the full length of the overlay it wouldn't break through like that. Under normal use it wouldn't have been a problem but you always have to consider the carrier and how they handle the packages.
Sorry Pat I guess I was a little uneasy about the news of the tips. What would you suggest I do to avoid such a problem? Should I alternate the grain's direction prior to glue-up? I have considered it for aesthetic purposes but I was afraid they'd be more inclined to break for sure that way. Or basically this is an isolated incident and I keep doing what I do?

Offline fish n chicks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2010, 12:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by Boswell:
Fish,
What pat said is what I'm sure happened. The package shows no damage at all. What I am thinking about doing is just try and glue them back on and see if they will hold. If not, I would like to send it back to you, to have it fixed. I am not doing this because I think it was your fault or anything. I am doing this because of the amazing craftsman ship of the bow. The bow is stunning. I would love to see the amazing bowyer that built it finish it. I would pay for shipping both ways. I just feel that I could never match the skill that you put into that bow.

If I glue the tips back on, what glue would you guys suggest?
Boswell
Well I would suggest whatever glue they use to hold NASA space shuttles together but that stuff might be hard to come by. I used TBIII for the glue up but you may want to try the powerful stuff like John suggested.

If that doesn't work or if you don't even want to mess with it please send it back to me and I promise to make it right.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©