Author Topic: new build - fiberglass alignment problem - help!  (Read 249 times)

Offline Innocente

• Trad Bowhunter
new build - fiberglass alignment problem - help!
« on: June 17, 2010, 01:28:00 PM »
help!
midway through a fiberglass build here, have only rough shaped the limbs, rough shaped my nock overlays, and done the initial shaping on my grip.  
the limbs seem straight, and when strung, the string seems dead on center of bow.

the problem is: when i nock an arrow, it does not lie flush against the arrow rest. (see pics below). every other bow i've ever made (including the one previous fiberglass build) could lay the arrow flush against the rest.  
how do i fix this?
SHOULD i try to fix this?
should i shave material from the arrow rest side of both limbs, to try to move the string and thus the arrow to a more flush angle?
should i try to cut my arrow rest at an angle to accomodate the lie of the arrow?

any suggestions appreciated.

Offline Trux Turning

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: new build - fiberglass alignment problem - help!
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 01:55:00 PM »
Your string center line looks good in the picture- the riser is far from being center cut- I would cut the site window in a little more and round it off front to back some.

Offline Innocente

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 01:58:00 PM »
yeah the rest is only 1/4" in or so.  
i cut the arrow rest 1.75" above the center of the bow.
had planned on smoothing in a radial fade out on the front of that arrow rest.

so you think just cutting in deeper on the belly side of that riser, and accomodate the angle the arrow is currently at, then?

Online jess stuart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 02:02:00 PM »
I have to go along with Trux.  The sight window appears that it could be thinner.  How thick is the sight window?  I assume you used 1 1/1" width on your glass and riser, if the riser isn't to thin back to belly,  I think you could safely remove some material from the sight window. If  you are concerned about strength you could do some glass overlays on the riser which would make stronger.

Offline Innocente

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 02:11:00 PM »
the back 1/2 " of the riser is tough hickory, and the riser itself is really thick (making it for my huge handed brother).  i suspect i could cut as deep as i wanted and still maintain structural integrity.

1 1/2" wide glass by the way.

sounds like you guys are favoring NOT adjusting limbs to change arrow angle.  that's good to know, my kneejerk was to shave the limbs.  it sounds like my solution is to adjust the sight window depth.

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 03:55:00 PM »
Deepen the sight window and radius the face where your strike plate will be.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline strungstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2010, 01:10:00 PM »
While you increase the radius of your site window it appears you could decrease the angle of it also, which may also help.  Go a little higher on your riser and bring it down more gradually as you smooth it towards your hand. This way it won't be so "steep".

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©