Author Topic: Seriously... no wooden arrow build a longs?  (Read 553 times)

Offline fish n chicks

• Trad Bowhunter
Seriously... no wooden arrow build a longs?
« on: June 18, 2010, 11:38:00 AM »
I've checked the archives in the "how to" section, and tried searching the site too, but to no avail. Maybe i've been spoiled by 4est's build a long, but I haven't found anything that can teach me some sort procedure as to how to make my own arrows.

Can someone lead me in the right direction? I have turkey feathers that I need to learn how to prep, and would also like to see what end I taper to what degree and yadda yadda. All the good stuff. I'm hoping to start making arrows asap but not without the proper tutolage first.

C'mon 4est do an arrow buildalong!!

Offline walkabout

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Seriously... no wooden arrow build a longs?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 11:51:00 AM »
try looking on the build along section down near the how tos. also i think jawge has some on his site.
Richard

Offline fish n chicks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 12:07:00 PM »
Originally posted by walkabout:
try looking on the build along section down near the how tos. also i think jawge has some on his site.
I looked at the how to's, but could only find stuff for footing or cresting arrows or splicing feathers. I was just looking for a simple start to finish how to for the fundamentals of arrow building.

Offline walkabout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 12:09:00 PM »
yea the buildalong i saw was from starting from a shaft to the fletching, didnt show how to make the shafting, etc.
Richard

Offline 4est trekker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 12:26:00 PM »
Maybe I'll put one together for folks.  I use mostly homemade tools and jigs to make my arrows.  I have to confess, though, that I start with poplar dowels from Menard's, and not raw materials when making my shafts.  I have done it that way, but I don't have the patience or the time anymore.  

I use a homemade:
spine tester
taper jig
feather grinding jig
feather shaping jig
cresting maching

I use a commercial:
fletching jig
point/nock taper tool

I'll see what I can put together for you.
"Walk softly...and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline Sam Harper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2010, 01:56:00 PM »
I have a video on it, but there isn't much detail at all.  I completely cut out the spine tester.  I do plan to do a written build along for my web page that will have lots of detail.  I don't cut or burn my own feathers, though.  Anyway, here's the video:

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.

Offline gudspelr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2010, 03:19:00 PM »
I'm glad someone got 4est to look at doing another how-to.  And 4est, if you could go ahead and include how to make a homemade:
spine tester, taper jig, feather grinding jig, feather shaping jig, and cresting machine
 :)  

Maybe someday you could just auction yourself off for a long weekend for St. Jude's?    :notworthy:  

Will be following this one....

Jeremy
"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
- William Morris

Craftsmen strive to make their products both.

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2010, 04:54:00 PM »
Jon, I make all my arrows from either cane or hardwood shoots. I only use a spine tester to find the stiff side of the arrow which goes against the bow. Google "James Hill Spine Tester" for complete instructions on how to make one using a dial indicator. Very easy! I don't crest arrows anymore but made my cresting machine using an old rock tumbler when I was using cedars.
  For the tapering for points and nocks I made a jig to use with my bench top belt/disc sander. The tapers are 11 degrees for the nock and a 5 degree taper for the point.
 For fletching I cut and grind them from turkey and goose feathers. I use a Young Feather Burner to shape the fletching after they are on the shaft. I split the feathers, cut them to size and use a fletching clamp to hold the feather while I grind the quill on a belt sander. Sometimes I use a JoJan fletching jig but mostly I tie them on as per the Cherokee/Woodland style of 2 fletch or 3 fletch.
  I have made shafting from white pine and poplar by cutting the board into 3/8" square stock first than hand plane them by removing the four corners with a thumb plane($8 at ACE Hardware). Then remove the 8 corners with the plane and sand them smooth after that.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2010, 05:03:00 PM »
See Making a Simple Arrow on my site. Jawge
 http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2010, 09:12:00 AM »
I make what I call "high performance" wood arrows. Very closely matched in weight and spine, the last 9" of the shaft tapered to 5/16", precision cut point and nock tapers, heat straightened shafts and fletched with high profile feathers. It takes me a while to make a dozen but they are incredible shooters.

Next time I make up a batch I will take some pictures of the process.

Offline waldo320

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2010, 10:33:00 AM »
Here you go its the one I followed
 http://***********.bowsite.com/TF/lw/thread2.cfm?forum=23&threadid=190256&category=

Offline fish n chicks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2010, 10:24:00 AM »
Originally posted by 4est trekker:
Maybe I'll put one together for folks.  I use mostly homemade tools and jigs to make my arrows.  I have to confess, though, that I start with poplar dowels from Menard's, and not raw materials when making my shafts.  I have done it that way, but I don't have the patience or the time anymore.  

I use a homemade:
spine tester
taper jig
feather grinding jig
feather shaping jig
cresting maching

I use a commercial:
fletching jig
point/nock taper tool

I'll see what I can put together for you.
And i'll bet you'll create another bad a$$ buildalong! I say this cause I think I saw some of your arrow tools, and arrows, on the site already.

Offline fish n chicks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2010, 10:25:00 AM »
That's a great link waldo! Sulphur makes it look easy.

Offline Jason Scott

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2010, 10:49:00 AM »
I have done them like Sam's video. I find that making a match dozen set of arrows is twice the work of making a bow even if you use a drill and dowel cutter instead of a hand planing. That is if you stain, cap and crest too.

Offline fish n chicks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2010, 02:50:00 PM »
Well for right now I'd really like to just learn the fundamentals or the art, like checking spinage, fletching, nocking and tipping. The fancy pants stuff can come after I can make some arrows on my own.

Offline UnderControl16

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2010, 10:08:00 PM »
4est i wouldn't mind knowing how you made your spine tester, feather shaper, and feather ginder either. I hope you'll either PM me or post on here how you made them.

Offline fish n chicks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2010, 12:18:00 PM »
I agree. It would definitnely be nice to know how to make some of my own tools that will prep feathers. I'd be willing to buy a cutter tho, for $25 from 3rivers that would be the way to go.

Offline fish n chicks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2010, 12:31:00 PM »
I did dig up this post 4est put up on my homemade tools thread a while ago. It shows his fether chopper, grinder, and some of the arrows that caused me to want to make my own:

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=125;t=002727;p=2#000021

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2010, 04:57:00 PM »
I have made this spine tester and it seems to be pretty good. I believe ishiwannabe also made this same one and has posted pictures of it. If you study it carefully and follow the directions you can do it very easily. PM me with any questions.
Also added link to the other style of tester that many have made with great success.

http://www.bambooarrow.com/tester.html

http://www.jamesmhill.com/Spine_Tester.html
Keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back.

Offline MercilessMing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2010, 09:08:00 PM »
If you have a router and want to save some $$ over the Veritas dowelling jig to turn shafts from wood, I have tried the following home-made jig:

http://books.google.com/books?id=CYy5hoY-tZwC&pg=PA203&lpg=PA203&dq=the+precision+dowel+maker&source=web&ots=GJYCljrJj_&sig=QuL06SuouzzhX0kPlpK8h-StDvY#PPA202,M1  

(same idea but differnt implementation of the jig   http://lumberjocks.com/topics/193   )

Yes, you will have a lot of saw dust from this and needs a lot of sanding.  But that's fun to make your own jig and shafts.  To make a matching dozen of shafts you may need to turn 4 dozens of wood.

The dimensions I used are slightly different comparing with what's given in the link:
(Shaft size)______(Entry)_____(Square)
5/16"______________3/4"________1/2"
11/32"_____________3/4"________1/2"
23/64"_____________3/4"________1/2"

a different set to use is:

5/16"______________5/8"________0.442"
11/32"_____________5/8"________0.442"
23/64"_____________5/8"________0.442"

Drill bit price at Lowes
5/16" Hitachi, $4.07, L=4.5"
11/32" Hitachi, $4.77, L=4.75"
23/64" Hitachi, $5.17, L=4.875"
3/4" fostner, Porter Cable, $9.97, L=3.75"
5/8" fostner, Porter Cable, $8.97, L=3.75"

I Stacked 3 piece of  3/4" maple board to make the jig.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©