3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Need help- predator calling newbie!  (Read 457 times)

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
Need help- predator calling newbie!
« on: February 12, 2008, 09:48:00 PM »
Hey guys we have a huge coyote problem on our place here in Montgomery,TX. I am about to name our next cat Coyote Chow! Seriously our farm adjoins a wooded 400 acre farm that is chock full of them suckers. I've always wanted to hunt them. How do I do it? I have a predator call or three but usually use them while turkey hunting.

School me.
Black Widow PSAX Bocote 57# @28, 58 AMO
Black Widow PLX Tiger Myrtle 60# @28, 64 AMO
J.D. Berry Osage Argos 60# @28, 66 AMO

Offline BMOELLER

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Need help- predator calling newbie!
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 10:25:00 PM »
Wear camo like you are turkey hunting.  Set up facing down wind because more times than not they will circle or come in from down wind.  Make sure you have shooting lanes in that direction.  It is also a good idea to be scent free because they will come from this direction and if you are using a bow it is vital. Using a gun and you can get them before they catch your scent.
If you are using an electric call start out on low volume and run the sequence for a minute and then wait about five minutes before calling again.  Keep an eye out for crow, hawks, or blue jays etc. sometimes they are an indicator that something is coming in.  Same thing when using hand calls.  I usually stay on one stand for 30 min. before moving.  I have gotten up a few times and seen a coyote coming and got busted.

This time of year is the mating season and challenge calls are good to use if you know how and when to use them.  Get a Randy Anderson video they are the best for learning how to call.

There are alot of other things you can do but you will learn them from experience.

Good Luck and let us know how you do.
2009 Kansas State ASA Traditional Champion

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 10:27:00 PM »
what time of day? thanks!

Offline BMOELLER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 10:33:00 PM »
Early in the morning and evening.  I was always told that between 11:00am-2:00pm is down time and you can take a break from calling but then again I have gotten some in that time as well.

Being from txas you have the luxury of hunting them at night.  I wish Missouri would let us.  That is probably the best time.  Use a red lens cover over a spotlight.  Call a little bit and then search the area looking for the glow of their eyes.

I seemed to have my best luck around the full moon in the day time. Why I don't know.

Offline Budog56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 10:33:00 PM »
I agree with Bmoeller on the randy anderson video the one i would recommend is one of the primos ones called the truth...you can also get them with the calls individually....but be careful it can (and probably will) get very addicting! There is also a video at cabelas called the verminators bowmania that suggest different use of setups for a bow etc.. they use mostly wheel bows but setup would be the same for trad gear.Ive had luck at anytime during the day but Fullmoon with snowcover is the most fun and right before sunup and right after sundown seem to be the best as far as success rate they just move more then..Good luck and let us know how it turns out

Offline Budog56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 10:36:00 PM »
oops doubled it

Offline La. bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 10:37:00 PM »
I usually prefer to be there at daylight during mating season they have been out all night hunting and they are active, moving around, using challenge calls will make them think another coyote has hunted into their range. Howls and challenge barks work great but you will be getting the older more experienced dogs coming in so you need to be on your toes.

Good luck.
La. Bowhunter trad archery addict

Offline BMOELLER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 10:38:00 PM »
I got all of Randys videos before he went to Primos.  I have seen clips at Cabelas of the primos and they look similar to the old videos.  

I haven't been going yote'n  much since moving back to missouri from Kansas.  Seems like the dogs around here don't like to be called in.  In Kansas where I went I usually got a kill 2 out of 10 sets when it was good.

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2008, 10:41:00 PM »
man I've heard them making noise day and night.....but I guess I need one of the calls imitating the coyotes themselves.

Offline Budog56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2008, 10:41:00 PM »
They are pretty close the new ones just seemed to have a little more info on the primos ones they are all worht the money I agree...Where did ya hunt in kansas Brian we had great luck around manhattan when i lived there. Never got lucky enough with my bow though.

Offline Budog56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2008, 10:47:00 PM »
Open reed is what I would recommend they are a bit harder to master but they will make distress and coyote sounds like howls whimpers etc.....nothing is as fun as using a recurve!

Offline BMOELLER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2008, 10:50:00 PM »
yeah Trad Deer but I used a 22-250 and they never walked away   :D   not that they will with a 223.

BullDog I used to hunt west of Wichita, Commanche Co.  and the Grasslands, and some of the walk in hunting areas.  I miss it.  If I could only do one type of hunting, varmint hunting would be at the top of my list.  I've only killed one with a bow, and I've stuck a bobcat that managed to bury up in a brush pile that couldn't be moved.  You can ask Dave Bulla about that one.

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2008, 11:26:00 PM »
Sounds like I'm gonna have a busy weekend, going out to the farm Fri through Tues.....

Offline Budog56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2008, 11:28:00 PM »
GOOD LUCK and have fun hope ya get some! let us know

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2008, 11:41:00 PM »
These dogs have had it coming a LOOOONG time.  Varmints got 10 good cats in the last 5 years.

Offline trad kid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2008, 11:51:00 PM »
i like to use skunk oil you can get it at a sportsmans wharehouse and you put on your boot. it works really good for covering your sent and it seems to atract them

Offline j yenney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2008, 01:48:00 AM »
You did say that it's your land and private?
j yenney

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2008, 10:59:00 AM »
Might want to place out a decoy as well.  Something like a piece of rabbit hide that you can move with a string.  They come in looking and get real suspicious if they don't see anything.  A decoy helps you get a shot with a bow.

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2008, 11:14:00 AM »
our land is private yes......and I was thinking the same thing about a decoy. Some hide on a string I can jerk around would be possible to arrange.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2008, 11:24:00 AM »
Good thread guys...but let's keep it a trad bowhunting thread...after all that's what this great site is all about.
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©