3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Economical Foam for fixing target?  (Read 630 times)

Offline Hornseeker

• Trad Bowhunter
Economical Foam for fixing target?
« on: February 12, 2008, 09:55:00 PM »
Do you guys know of a cheapo deluxe foam that I can use to fix my Mckenzie deer target... there seems to be a massive void in his heart/lung area!! :0)

Also...has anyone used foam to fill a box and make a target???

Ernie

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Economical Foam for fixing target?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 10:01:00 PM »
Sounds like a good problem. I have used the insulating foam in the can from the local home supply store, doesn't hold up as well as the original but it is not very expensive, easy to use and you can trim the expanded portion with a knife.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline iacornfed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 10:39:00 PM »
Hornseeker are you bragging? I think Krewson? Had a post showing how he wrapped targets in plastic wrap and then filled target with foam.
Choose ye this day whom you shall follow, as for me and my household we shall follow the LORD.

Offline brettlandon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 11:03:00 PM »
Choose a minimal expansion polyeurathane spray foam, it will produce results closer (not identical) to your 3-D's origional foam than maximum (triple) expansion foam.  Do not wrap since air is necessary for the foam to cure.  Fill deer in place until the foam begins to run out, then stop, cure, and repeat.  When the core is filled (okay, over-filled and looks all misshapen), trim with a serrated bread knife.  This will give you about 1/3 the origional shooting time you had with the origional and is really only good to do once.  
Also, you may find the foam adhering to certian arrows.  I shoot woodies and have very little trouble with this but if your shooting alluminum or carbons at high velocity, well...
Good luck!

-Brett
Excellence is achieved, not purchased.

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 06:48:00 AM »
There is a guy who sells 2 part urethane kits for this task. I think they are in pints or quarts. He is at alot of the trad shows I think he is from wisconsin.

Terry
US ARMY 1984-1988

Offline Problem Child

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 07:41:00 AM »
Walmart carries "Great Stuff" foam and it works really well. I wrap my target with plastic and cut a small hole and stick the nozzle in and fill er up. I have shot many shots into my repaired targets and the holes seal right back up.
"Right Wing Extremists"....has a nice ring to it don't it?

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter

Offline hawksnest

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2008, 09:33:00 AM »
I've tried the foam insulation in a can, but much prefer the $20 kit from suppliers such as LAS for the specific use of repairing foam targets.  I bought 10 used targets from the local club for $150, with shot out vitals, and repaired them with 2 $20 repair kits.  Holding up well, and the repair foam is tough. Bill G.

Offline Widowbender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2008, 11:46:00 AM »
I wrap mine, before shooting the foam in. It will cure because the wrapping isn't completely air tight.It just takes a little longer to set up. It  helps compress the foam and make it a little more dense. I'm still shooting targets that are ten years old using this method. The kit probably works better, but I haven't tried it.

David
David

>>>>--TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow-->

Chatham County Chapter NWTF
Chapel Hill Friends of NRA

Offline hawksnest

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2008, 12:10:00 PM »
I do the same with the kit, mix &  wrap quickly with plastic and masking tape over the liquid when I pour it in, and let the foam expand into every crack & crevice.  Works great. Bill

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2008, 12:12:00 PM »
The best target repair kit you can get is made by George Ver Haagh. He's the guy that T Folts is talking about.

Georges repair kit should realy be called a target "restoring" kit because when you're finished you basicly have a brand new target. The foam he uses is very high density and is very similar to the original material.

I think a kit is around $30 or so. Here's the contact info:

George Ver Haagh
3-D Country Inc.
1713 Chicago St.
De Pere, WI 54115
920-337-4704
 www.3-dcountry.com
Email: [email protected]

-Ron
“We choose to do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard” — JFK

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Dave Worden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2008, 01:54:00 PM »
I've repaired quite a few targets with George's 3-D Country kits.  The foam is really better than the original McKenzie,  I would be a little leery of having it mailed during cold weather, but I'm sure a call to George could verify whether or not you need to wait for warmer weather.  All-in-all, it's great stuff and a lot better than "Great Stuff"!
"If I was afraid of a challenge, I'd put sights on my bow!"

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2008, 02:15:00 PM »
I have used spray foam with good results. Wrapped the target in plastic like everyone and sprayed the foam in. Also used to get some color matched or as close to spray paint to finish it off. Then take a dermal tool and either redo the scoring rings or create some vitals.

That 3-D kit looks pretty good. I am going to have to give it a try.

Offline Hornseeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2008, 04:33:00 PM »
Great Info....thanks all!

Offline Hornseeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2008, 04:38:00 PM »
Does anyone know what foam Rhinehart uses? Or any way to find out?? That stuff is INCREDIBLE!

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2008, 07:01:00 PM »
George can tell you what foam any manufacturer uses.

-Ron
“We choose to do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard” — JFK

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Deadsmple

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2008, 08:34:00 AM »
IMO that stuff that George sells at the shoots is really topnotch stuff. When fully cured the patch is just like a Rhinehart target.
With that said I still use GreatStuff in the red can. GreatStuff is just way cheaper to use. I can get it anyday of the week, Home Depot is just 20 minutes away.
The trick to getting a good patch with the spray foam is compression, which Mr. Krewson eluded to in his repair thread. What I like to do is use shrink wrap and completely wrap the target as tight as I can. Then fill the cavity with the foam, lay the target down on a firm  surface patchside up,and then weigh it down with as much weight as I can manage. I have plenty of bluestone around so that's what I use atleast 250+ pounds. If done right you don't even have to do any trimming of excess foam.
All praise is the Lords

"to get to heaven, turn right and stay straight"

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2008, 01:58:00 PM »
I also use Great Stuff but I'll also stray my target with bed liner coating you can get in a can. Fills in the little holes and cracks pretty good and makes the great stuff foam tougher.
lll

Offline Hornseeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2008, 04:56:00 PM »
Thanks again for all the good info! I've got one to fix, and I want to make a "block" with a cardboard box...but all the foam I"m looking at would make about $150 target! Nope.

E

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2008, 07:08:00 PM »
Do Ya Add Coloring? As You Spray with an "Atomizer" Kinda Deal, or Just Paint it as Needed??
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©