Author Topic: 2nd Attempt Under Way  (Read 974 times)

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2nd Attempt Under Way
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2010, 10:09:00 AM »
My d/r looks similar,maybe not quite the reflex. I gain 6# from 64 down to 62. You got her lookin good!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline D.A. Davis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2010, 09:26:00 PM »
Took the day off from the bow project today.  Went and shot in the local bowhunter bow shoot,  came in second.  My shooting is getting better.  The clicker really helped with the target panic.

Going to hit the shop early in the morning and get back on the bow.  I'm off on Monday's for Summer hours.  I work four 10-hour days.  Maybe I'll get to shoot a few arrows thru it tomorrow.
Genesis 21:20 - "And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer"

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2010, 09:34:00 PM »
Yep, I'd get 6# if cutting off two total inches.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline D.A. Davis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2010, 01:45:00 PM »
Ok, I'm down to the final sanding, and putting the limb tips on.  I've got a little problem with the tiller.  The stiffer limb has switched on me.  I started out with the stiffer limb on the bottom, but it's now on the top.  There's 1/4" difference in the measurement from the string to the riser on the top and bottom limb.  The bow is currently 64" and 47# @ 28".  I figure that I'll lose about 2 to 3 pounds by the time I get the tiller straightened out.  But, you know, on the tiller board and pulling from the center, the upper limb did not pull as far as the lower due to it being stiffer, but when I pulled from where it would be when I shoot 3-fingers under, the limbs bent equally.  And, I did shoot it this morning, and it shoots where I look.  Here's a pic of my group at 15 yards.

Do you think it will improve when I get the tiller right?

Here's some pics of the bow strung, but the brace height is only at 6 1/4".  When I get my string made and on the bow, I'll probably brace it a little closer to 7".

Is it just me, but does my riser look a little boxy, and maybe fat?  I'm kind of afraid to make it too thin, as I'm not experienced enough to know when thin is too thin, and the bow be at risk of breaking.  Any way, like I said, I've still got to put a finished sanding on it, and put the limb tips on, and shaped up before I can get the Tung Oil out,
Genesis 21:20 - "And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer"

Offline Orkraider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2010, 07:18:00 PM »
I think your riser looks great. I can't wait to see that with a finish on it, it's gorgeous already.  I wish I could put that kind of handle on my self bows.
Riley in Saint Paul, MN

Offline D.A. Davis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2010, 04:15:00 PM »
I've got a question.  How do I shape the limb edges?  I've seen them rounded, and heard talk on here about pyramid limbs.  What the heck are those?  Do you guys just use a sander to shape them, or a file followed by sandpaper.  Any help would be appreciated.

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2010, 05:17:00 PM »
I have only used a hard rubber sanding block to round the edges

Offline D.A. Davis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2010, 06:19:00 AM »
Do you guys think it's a little thick from the shelf up to the upper lmb?

Offline D.A. Davis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2010, 03:39:00 PM »
Well, I've got my limb tips semi-done.  I've still got some clean-up to do on them.  I'm still trying to get the tiller right.  When I started shaping the riser, I had the stiffer limb on bottom.  Now, the stiffer limb is on the top.  I've worked and worked to try and get the tiller to change and get the stiffer limb back to the bottom.  I've sanded the sides, back and belly of the upper limb trying to change it.  I've sanded until I'm beginning to think I notice that the upper limb is beginning to appear narrower than the bottom.  Also, I've lost 5# in the process.  I started with the upper limb being 3/8" closer than the bottom limb.  The best I've been able to do is lower that to 3/16".  So, now I've got an upper limb that is 3/16" closer, a bow that is 5# lighter, and a bow that shoots great. I shoot 3-fingers under, so I think I'm going to leave it as it is.
What do you guys think?

Offline D.A. Davis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2010, 01:29:00 PM »
Put my first coat of Tung Oil on my bow this morning after spending most of the morning sanding and sandind.  You know how you work and work to get all the file and course sanding marks out of it before to put your finish on, and think you got everything.  Well, upon putting the Tung oil on it, I discovered some sand marks that I missed.  And, I worked hard to make sure that didn't happen.  Oh well, we'll call those "character marks".  Works for me.

D.A.

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2010, 09:11:00 PM »
I had a few tool marks on my first bow..I bought  two pairs of 1.25 reading glasses for my shop and it really made a difference, I can see the sanding and tool marks alot better now.

Offline Big Riser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2010, 09:41:00 PM »
Nice stuff
Frank

Offline D.A. Davis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: August 01, 2010, 05:31:00 PM »
Got the second coat on this morning.  First, I wet sanded it with 1000 grit sandpaper.  Then after a good cleaning and time to dry, I slowly worked in the second coat.  

I've got a couple of questions, which coat should I put my writing (#, length, etc.)?  I was thinking I should put it on after coat 5.  I was going to use India Ink, and put my last 3 coats over that.  Also, is there anything I should do after the 8th, and last coat?  Should I wet sand it and then use some sort of polish on it, or just polish it after the last coat drys?

Offline Mike Most

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: August 01, 2010, 06:31:00 PM »
I know what you mean by sanding and sanding to get all the "tool" marks out. I do most of my stuff by hand, like rounding over the limbs a bit I use a rat tail file, and I have spent as many as 8 hours taking rasp marks out of the shelf area by hand, using 150,180,220,300,400 grit sanding papers. The satisfaction is worth the effort. Congratulations on "Getting her done"
"It Shall be Life" (Ten Bears to Josie Wales)
------------------                Michael Most-Adkins Texas

Offline D.A. Davis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: August 02, 2010, 05:08:00 PM »
I've decided to use the India Ink after my last coat of Tung Oil, and to follow that up with a couple of coats clear Polyurethane.  Hopefully, by next weekend I'll be shooting my new bow.

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2010, 12:51:00 AM »
Looking good.. hopefully i will have mine done by the august shoot
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: August 04, 2010, 03:03:00 AM »
update:   never mind just snapped mine on the tree @ 20"  Guess it had a crack i didnt see.. Oh well.. 3rd times a charm
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Offline D.A. Davis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: August 07, 2010, 05:12:00 PM »
Keep trying midd.  You'll get it figured out.  I'll see you at the club shoot on the 15th.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©