Author Topic: Hanging to Spray  (Read 400 times)

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
Hanging to Spray
« on: July 05, 2010, 11:16:00 PM »
Any good suggestions on the best way to hang a bow while spraying finish?  

For recurves I have been using shower curtain hooks in the string groove, and that works fine.  But longbow tips in particular are more trouble. I'd like something that will hold the bow steady as I spray so that it is not spinning as I go.  

For the longbows I've been bending stiff wire to form a loop.  Works pretty good on some tips, not so well on others.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline gudspelr

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hanging to Spray
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 11:28:00 PM »
When you find out, let me know.  I ended up bending a metal hanger up to try and get mine suspended long enough to spray-wasn't too secure, either.  Gotta be a better way...

Jeremy
"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
- William Morris

Craftsmen strive to make their products both.

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 11:36:00 PM »
I use soft brass wire and twist a figure 8 with one loop in the string grove and one goes over a cup hook in the ceiling.

Offline TimZeigler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 11:57:00 PM »
I use a long piece of monofilament fishing line hung from a ceiling hook.  Tie a slip not in the end and loop it around the knock grooves.
USMC 1992-2000
PBS Associate Member

Offline scrub-buster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 04:54:00 AM »
I hold my bows and spray them.  When I am done, I balance them on the  handle on a block of wood in the vice.  When it is dry, I wrap the handle in leather.  It works for me!
AKA Osage Outlaw

Offline ckanous

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 06:30:00 AM »
Put monofilament line on both ends so that the bow hangs flat. Tie the lines to another board and hang bow from it so you can move it somewhere to dry if neccassary.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 09:08:00 AM »
I use a shingle nail hammered into the handle just enough o hold the bow suspended with a string. Also, the nail hole relieves pressure caused when the bow is drawn. Jawge

Offline Bruce Prosser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 02:42:00 PM »
I have found that for selfbows to not totally finish the top string notch. What I mean is I double my notches at the top and hang it from that. After I put my finish (usually spray satin spar urathane) then I finish the top nock end's shaping sanding and finish. They always look fine. Makes tillering look kind of weird because you have to compensate for the extra inch or so but it has always worked for me.

Bruce

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 02:59:00 PM »
Nail goes in the belly--just a bit. Just kidding about relieving the pressure.  :)  Jawge

Offline Aeronut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2010, 03:22:00 PM »
You had me scratching my head George.

I just hang mine by a string from a nock groove.  It doesn't spin enough to bother me.

Dennis

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2010, 04:12:00 PM »
For selfbows only! Use a drill and a small drill bit about the size of a panel or finish nail. Just about midway from the upper string nock to the tip of the limb; drill a hole from side to side making sure you are also centered in the part of the limb tip between the back & belly. Or in otherwords, make sure you're above the upper string nock and drill a hole from side to side in the portion of that area providing the most mass. The hole can be used for finish purposes and when completed tie on some horsetail hair or song bird feather for a wind indicator.
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline Jason Scott

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2010, 04:18:00 PM »
I just spin around with it. Feel your pain.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2010, 04:21:00 PM »
If you out the nail in the belly of the handle, the handle covering will cover it. Jawge

Offline cobbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2010, 09:36:00 PM »
I have a loop of rope hanging form a hook in the ceiling. From that loop I hang a single wire from home phone cabling. I put a loop in it and hang the bow form the bottom nock, because I think if it dose affect the finish in the nock it is at the bottom and less noticeable. I didn’t like the outcome by hanging the bow horizontal. I got to much trash in the finish even in a closed off room by its self.

My $.02
Cobbow

Offline No-sage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2010, 09:59:00 PM »
Here's what I use:    Finishing Grip

Offline PV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2010, 11:19:00 PM »
Here's what I've been using Whip. I prefinish the string grooves where the wire goes. The washers are to twist the wire tight(not done in this pic).The fixture is adjustable for lenght and spins.

Offline Bruce Prosser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2010, 12:05:00 AM »
What a great idea! Thanks for the picts.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2010, 12:18:00 AM »
Wow, that's a deluxe set up Paul!  Of course, I would expect nothing less  ;)
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2010, 03:42:00 PM »
Here's what I have been using, and they work very well to hold the bow without spinning if the string grooves are deep enough.

Where they don't work so well is on very small tip longbows like these from a Dwyer.

PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline PV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2010, 10:13:00 PM »
Like it Whip. The washer trick will work with  small tips.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©