Author Topic: excercising limbs?  (Read 237 times)

Offline Schmidtster

• Trad Bowhunter
excercising limbs?
« on: July 06, 2010, 07:17:00 PM »
Hey I'm just about to the tillering part of making by oak board bow and I hear alot about excercising limbs, just wondering if its what I think... do you just pull it back a few inches 30 or so times?
Nathan

Offline Silent Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: excercising limbs?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 07:32:00 PM »
Its always good to warm the bow up before you go to your full draw, especially when it is cold out
When a man speaks of truth he has nothing to hide. - Silent Bear

When a man moves away from nature his heart becomes hard. - Lakota

When we show our respect for other living things, they respond with respect for us. - Arapaho

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 07:38:00 PM »
Yes when tillering,,, in between scraping off wood from the belly you should exersise the limbs 30 times or so before re-checking your tiller again. You should not pull it more than the intended weight you wish the bow to turn out to be.
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline Schmidtster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 08:48:00 PM »
awesome thanks guys it will be a bit before I get to that cause I have no power tools ha.. doing the whole think by rasp and sand paper should be able to put it on the long string in the next couple days time permitting.
Nathan

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 10:30:00 PM »
Schmidtster, get yourself or make yourself a scraper. That and a rasp is all you need for tillering a wood bow. You are better off not using power tools.
  Exercising the bow after wood removal is important to make the wood removal register and to teach the limbs to bend and recover.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Johan van Niekerk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 05:07:00 AM »
What does a good scraper look like? I'd love to make one but need some design ideas  :)

Offline tishtail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 06:08:00 AM »
i personally used a very stout cut down knife that i added a handle to the point end and for me i keep it sharp draw at 45* to bow making full draws on limbs i keep it sharp it helps me put less pressure on limbs making very fine shavings on the passes hope this helps LjT

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 07:14:00 PM »
Johan, I use a knife like tishtail but mine is a sturdy filet knife. The blade is long enough to use both hands and sturdy enough not to bend excessively.
Stan

Offline TroyH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010, 08:08:00 PM »
3Rivers has a set of 3 scrapers or you can buy one online for just a few bucks.  99% of the time I just use the flat scraper, but the gooseneck scraper comes in handy on osage knots and dips.
Formerly known as PastorHunter.

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2010, 08:53:00 PM »
Get an old handsaw.  Grind or cut a 2" x 5" rectangle out of it.  Use a sharp file to square of the edges.  Use the smooth portion of a high speed drill bit set at about 5 degrees and burnish it to create a hooked edge.  You can round off the ends or make whatever shape you like.  The important thing is squared edges burnished well.  Sharpening a Scraper
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©