Author Topic: pyramid profile or flatbow?  (Read 339 times)

Offline walkabout

• Trad Bowhunter
pyramid profile or flatbow?
« on: July 11, 2010, 12:59:00 PM »
working out the dimensions i want my next bow to be, its going to be 68-70" overall, im hoping to get 55-60#@28", was wondering what others opinions on shape should be, whether to build a wide flatbow, or use the pyramid profile. ive read that hickory works very well in a flat wide profile, however i know too that pyramid like profiles are just as nice. which would you use?
Richard

Offline No-sage

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: pyramid profile or flatbow?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 04:02:00 PM »
It's up to you and your tastes.

Personally, I think pyramid bows are ugly, so I don't make them.

At the length you looking at, a flatbow would work fine.  If you were stuck with a shorter stave, a pyramid might be a better choice.

Offline Loren Holland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 04:21:00 PM »
I've been making Boo/Ipe pyramid bows at 68 inches. 1 3/8 at the the fades down to 1/2 at the tips.  I personally think Pyramids give you a more graceful looking bow, especially in dense woods where you want to keep mass down in the first place. But like No-sage said, its your bow and your tastes.
functionally it might depend on the wood. i can tell you that i have no problem staying over 45lbs with what i've been doing, and if i had more patience, i am sure i could pull off a 55-60. i think its easier to tiller a pyramid thats for sure.
last i tend to keep a rectangular profile on my limbs and not round them off too much into a d shape. you  can have some of the benefit of work distribution within the limb like a flat bow, without going real wide

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 11:33:00 AM »
A pyramid design is a flatbow.  

The pyramid design is easier to make with boards since there is little belly tillering needed.

Starting with 2" and tapering straight to 1/2" nocks using a 1/2" thick board should get you your weight.  You can remove wood from the sides or on the belly to reduce weight and adjust tiller.

Alternatively, start with a 5/8" thick board or stave, make it 1-3/4" at the fades for half the limb and then taper to 1/2" and then reduce weight and tiller on the belly.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline walkabout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 11:54:00 AM »
im working with hickory staves i cut when i was in pennsylvania. the longer one ive decided to use a more traditional flatbow design, 1 3/4-2" wide from the fades past midlimb tapering to 1/2" nocks. the second stave im leaning toward a modified pyramid design like discussed in TBB vol 4,with stiff narrow tips similar to a holmegard. probably going to make the tips static recurve to give it some added early draw force, since the stave is a bit shorter and im not sure how much draw length im going to be able to get out of it yet. i really was just trying to see what style is more popular/sweeter shooting.
Richard

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©