Author Topic: Need adice on Thunderbird finish  (Read 374 times)

Offline billy shipp

• Trad Bowhunter
Need adice on Thunderbird finish
« on: July 11, 2010, 04:07:00 PM »
I have a bow finished with T-bird epoxy. The finish itself is fine, but it has some open pores I don't like.

I don't want to sand the bow down, just fill the pores, then apply finish as needed to even everything out.

The bow has been waxed, so any tips to remove the wax will be helpful.

I plan on mixing the epoxy, not adding any thinner at this point, rubbing the epoxy in to fill the pores, sanding if needed, continuing until all pores are filled.

After I have all the pores filled, I'll thin the epoxy, then brush on several light coats until I'm pleased with the finish.

I hope to wind up with a smooth, slick, hand rubbed finish. When folks talk about using wet/dry sandpaper in the final finish sanding process, are they actually using water during the sanding, or are they using the wet/dry sandpaper dry?

Any ideas, thoughts, tips or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Offline Peckerwood

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Need adice on Thunderbird finish
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 08:16:00 PM »
Hi Billy , I would just mix a small amount of TBird and use a small foam brush to spot fill the holes. This may take several coats. Then I would wet sand ( with water)until smooth using 800 - 1000 grit. The key to Tbird is using thin multiple coats. Make sure that you really thin the last couple of coats. Allow to cure for 5-7 days before final wet sanding with 1500 grit.

Hope this helps.....Bill
NO matter where you go there you  are !

Offline billy shipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 08:22:00 PM »
Hi Bill,

Thanks for the advice. I'm sending you a PM.

Billy

Offline GREG IN MALAD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 03:47:00 AM »
Billy,
 Acetone should remove the wax, and wont harm the finish if it's fully cured. I wouldn't use a foam brush, T-bird epoxy is made with M.E.K. and will dissolve plastic. Made a big mess when I mixed it in a plastic cup.
I didnt miss, thats right where I was aiming

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©