Author Topic: colored glass  (Read 364 times)

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
colored glass
« on: July 12, 2010, 10:13:00 AM »
over the years I have seen glass bows that were green, grey, yellow, red. Is any of this glass available today?

Thanks guys,................... James
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline Jason Scott

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: colored glass
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 11:29:00 AM »
Binghams carries some colored glass. Gordons will probably make you a large batch if you can afford to buy a couple tons of it in one wham. It looks like Great Northern just got in on a green glass deal. For me a you, we'll have to luck into something different probably.

Offline Swissbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 12:36:00 PM »
You could laminate a thin linen in the desired color under clear glass. Just make sure the linen is completely soaked with epoxy when you glue up the whole thing and you should be fine. I have made two recurves like that so far and had no troubles at all. This way you can do any design you want. This is the last one my daughter Caroline and I made...

----------
Andy

Offline Johan van Niekerk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 01:54:00 PM »
Cool! How thin is "thin" linen though? I'm thinking about something like that using "normal" camoflage cloth

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 04:21:00 PM »
Andy.........Very nice bow, thank you for sharing. I know your daughter is enjoying it. I have some python snake skin pattern material that I was thinking about trying under clear glass. Hopefully it will turn out as good as yours did.
Thanks again..........James
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline Swissbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 04:39:00 PM »
Hi Johan, I have measured the linen with a caliper and it's about 0.01 inch thick. The thinner the better I guess, because otherwise it might add to much to the draw weight. I bet it would look killer if you'll use a cloth with a cool camouflage print. I'd love to see that bow.

BTW here is a build along of Caroline's bow...

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=125;t=003329;p=1

----------
Andy

Offline Johan van Niekerk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 04:09:00 AM »
Thanks Andy  :)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©