Author Topic: Made a little mistake! PICTURES ADDED.  (Read 436 times)

Offline Don Armstrong

• Trad Bowhunter
Made a little mistake! PICTURES ADDED.
« on: July 13, 2010, 07:47:00 PM »
I haven't made a bow for a while but was inspired by Pat's "corner of shame bow", which is a beautiful bow. I have a nice osage stave that has the back to a nice ring but has a little prop twist. I laid a 62" bow out trying to get as much twist out as possible. It is 64" end to end.I evidently had my head somewhere is didn't belong   :rolleyes:  . After I reduced it to almost floor tiller stage, I noticed a knot about 3" from one end. I oiled the stave and heated it on a caul to get it straight. The knot is about a 1/4" and the middle part is loose. I could make a 58" bow and get the knot out but not sure if 58" will work at 28" draw and around 50 lbs. Should I cut the bow down or try to super glue the peg in the knot hole. Thanks, Don

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Made a little mistake! PICTURES ADDED.
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 07:53:00 PM »
I'd dig out the loose part and work around the  hole,,, it can be done.
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline Silent Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 08:47:00 PM »
a 58 inch bow should easily be able to reach 28 inches if it has a good tiller
When a man speaks of truth he has nothing to hide. - Silent Bear

When a man moves away from nature his heart becomes hard. - Lakota

When we show our respect for other living things, they respond with respect for us. - Arapaho

Offline Don Armstrong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 09:00:00 PM »
I don't know if digging the center of the knot out will work. It would be about three inches from the end of the limb and there won't be much meat there. I guess I could try to keep that part of the limbs as stiff as possible to keep stress off the knot hole. I was thinking I could shorten the limb with the knot by 2.5" and the other limb 1.5". This would give me a finished bow 58" nock to nock. I could also put some antler backing at the tips as I usually do but go down the limb a little more than usual to cover the knot hole. Don

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 09:30:00 PM »
Can you show us a picture? Jawge

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 10:19:00 PM »
If you followed the grain around the knot and left the limb wider around the knot you should be fine doing it like Osage suggested. I have one I'm working on know that has a punky knot about 1/3 the way up from the fade and when it is done it will have a hole in it.

Stiks
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 10:54:00 PM »
Pics would really help!   If the knot is loose take it out and leave the limb wide around it. If it is 3" from the end of the limb that area is probably not working anyway.   Pics would really help!!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Don Armstrong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 10:57:00 PM »
Will try to post picture. I'm at work now and it will be Thursday before I can get a picture. If the knot was in the main limb, I would just leave some extra wood around it. It is only about 3" from the end of the limb which will put it close to the string groove. I was hopeing to flip the tips and still might. Don

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 11:30:00 PM »
You may still be able to flip the tips. Leave the tips wide to flip them. Take it real slow, heat well and don't force anything. Even if you have to do it in two or 3 sessions. The area around knot holes is thicker than surrounding wood to handle the weight and leverage of the tree limb growing from it(the knot). If the knot is loose it is serving no purpose so it can(usually) be removed without effecting the bow.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2010, 07:25:00 AM »
This is about 8" from the tip.

Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline Don Armstrong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2010, 08:58:00 PM »
Here are pics of the limb. What do you think?

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2010, 10:57:00 PM »
Another option for that knot is to remove whatever loose material from the knot and fill it with saw dust and super glue. A knot that size will have to be done in layers to insure no voids.
  Looks to me like you could clean out the knot and tiller the bow with a hole in the limb. You can leave that area a little stiff as not to over stress it.
  I would saturate the small knot at the tip with super glue and forget it. Keep as much wood around it as you can. It is in a non working area anyway.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Don Armstrong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2010, 11:39:00 PM »
Pat, that is the same knot. It looks very small on the back in the first picture but goes thru the limb at an angle. It comes out as you see in the second and third picture. Don

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©