Author Topic: white oak for backing  (Read 275 times)

Offline vth0kie12

• Trad Bowhunter
white oak for backing
« on: July 16, 2010, 10:16:00 AM »
will white oak work for a backing if its cut thin. i can get a lot of old white oak boards if it will work.

Offline Bruce Prosser

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: white oak for backing
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 10:22:00 AM »
Why  not make bows from the white oak boards? It makes fine board bows if backed with a strip of linen or rawhide, boo or hickory.

Offline vth0kie12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 12:41:00 PM »
the boards arent long enough for a bow. i was going to but them together in the handle area and put an somthing across the front.

Offline walkabout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 01:02:00 PM »
white oak is pretty strong, in fact the reference for woods i use says its near impossible to break a white oak bow if its made right. if there arent very many grain violations you might not need a backing at all, just reinforce the splice with something. epoxy is probably your best bet for splices so any gaps are filled. by the way heres the link to that reference    http://www.briskybows.com/choosingwoods.htm  it says white oak will take some set, but as long as its not horrible you should be fine. as for backings i think you would have to have very straight grain, and even then it may crush many other woods its glued to if not careful.
Richard

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©