3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wood shafts split!  (Read 614 times)

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Wood shafts split!
« on: February 13, 2008, 01:10:00 PM »
I have made some tapered POC 80#-85# arrows. I made sure the nock was positioned correctly in relationship to the grain for strength. I have been shooting them for several weeks now. This morning 2 out of 5 blew up on me. They split the nock and up the shaft for about 8"-10". The part that split away from the shaft is about 1/4 of the shaft. The arrow made it out of the bow for about 5 yards...in pieces. That will wake you up! Too much excitement that earlier in the day. My dog just walked away with his head down as if to say, "you are on your own now!"  lol  Is this just to be expected with the quality of POC today? Is there just going to be a percentage that will do this? Should I have spotted this problem in the shaft when making these? I thought if the nock was lined up perpendicular to the grain this wouldn't happen..?
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wood shafts split!
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 01:15:00 PM »
Highly unusual indeed. Sounds like the spilt ends about where the taper starts, yes? May I ask how you tapered them and what diameter the shafts were to begin with? Glad you are not hurt!!! What weight/type bow are you shooting? To answer your quality question, no, you should not expect a certain percentage of shafts to fail.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 01:25:00 PM »
Snag,
I read on another thread that you were shooting a 55# recurve. If this is the bow you were shooting these arrows out of, that spine is way too heavy IMO. I would bet that the shaft was kicking off the riser pretty hard (though possibly not too noticable) instead of bending around it like it should. If there was a flaw (weak spot) in a shaft, that's a good way to find it!
Got wood? - Tom

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 01:33:00 PM »
These shafts are fine for this center cut recurve. The arrow flight is excellent. They aren't kicking off the riser. Infact the bowyer had me try this bow out with the same spined arrows when I went to pick it up. He told me because it is center cut you can shoot a wider range of spines out of it.

Offline smilinicon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 01:46:00 PM »
What knocks are you using?

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 02:32:00 PM »
Yep.  I'd look at the nocks as well.  If the shafts are splitting from the nocks, that means the nock is failing first.  I'm assuming you have straight grain, i.e., that the grain isn't running off the shaft in the first 8-10 inches.  If it is, this could cause the break as well.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2008, 02:45:00 PM »
They are Classic nocks, new from 3Rivers.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2008, 02:52:00 PM »
They are Classic nocks, new from 3Rivers.

Well there ya go   :goldtooth:
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Jim now in Kentucky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2008, 05:41:00 PM »
Agree with several posts above. Shaft won't split unless nock splits first.

Further, grain orientation is more about avoiding injury if the arrow  breaks in the middle, not about not  splitting at the nock--not since self nocks gave way to plastic.
"Reparrows save arrows!"

"But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he that cometh to God must believe that he is and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him." Hebrews 11:6

Offline Tree man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2008, 07:40:00 PM »
An unusuall problem. I shot a well glued classic nock off one of my P.O. Cedar arrows yesterday. I had to cut the remnants off the shaft but the shaft itself was undamaged. The only nock splits I have ever had came from other arrows pegging them.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2008, 08:03:00 PM »
One of the nocks split in half. The one half stayed glued to the arrow.

Offline Kid's Pastor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2008, 08:06:00 PM »
snag,

Glad you were not hurt! It could have very easily ruined your day and your bow. Wish I could be of more help to you, but I really do not have a clue without seeing the arrows.

Take care and try not to hurt yourself before the big Oregon Bunny Hunt in April.

God Bless,

Paul  :)

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2008, 08:09:00 PM »
Snag-

I believe it must be Karma catching up with you for holding out on getting the Forgewood business up and running.   :readit:      :rolleyes:  

Did you bare shaft with those arrows?  If so, you may have damaged them before fletching and it just took a while to give.  Otherwise, I agree with the others, the nock had to go first unless something else damaged the shaft.
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2008, 08:25:00 PM »
Paul, look forward to walking in the fresh air and shooting some bows!

Molson, I did bareshaft them...but I don't know if those 2 were the ones I used...?  As for the Forgewood business...it is hard to find a source of quality POC. Still talking with people. Haven't given up.

Offline Tree man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2008, 08:51:00 PM »
Snag, Have you tried compressing Sitka Spruce?

Offline NY Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Wooden Bows, Wooden Arrows and 2-Blade Broadheads
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2008, 08:59:00 PM »
Did you try to open the nock to make it fit more loose on the string? The nock could have been cracked that way.
"Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!"
Bear Claw Chris Lapp

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2008, 09:03:00 PM »
I had one split up the middle at the pointy end once without the point coming off. It was just a 'line' about 6 inches long.
I suspect that in each of these cases the wood was split before the arrow was made and we missed that. Possible?

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2008, 11:48:00 PM »
Snag-

I'd bet the two that broke are two you bareshafted.  If the nock stayed on the shaft, it had to have been stressed inside and finally gave up.

I've had it happen while bareshafting.  I was fortunate in that my finish held the shaft together until it hit the target.  I checked the other two that I was bareshafting with and could see small fractures forming.  That is one reason why I don't recommend bareshafting with wood unless you are experienced with the process and with the wood.
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline IAOUTDOORSMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2008, 03:31:00 AM »
Did they look like this?

These are two seperate arrows.  NOT POC but Hex.  No modification to nock, no bareshafting.  Classic nocks split down center.  I have never had a problem other than with the Hex Shaft.  Same thing, nocks still glued to shaft, arrow exploded out of the bow.

Offline Ken Allen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2008, 05:18:00 AM »
I had a pack of classic nocks that did the same thing a couple of years ago. It was only out of this one pack of 100's white ones. I haven't had any problems since so i figured i just got a bad bunch.
Ken Allen

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©