Author Topic: Riser length changing poundage?  (Read 328 times)

Offline traditional beagle

• Trad Bowhunter
Riser length changing poundage?
« on: July 17, 2010, 06:42:00 AM »
I've built several T/D bows and have noticed that poundage is affected if the angle or degree of cut where limbs bolt on is changed. My question is if I build a riser 2 or 3 inches shorter than original riser and keep the right degree of angle where the limbs bolt on, will the poundage change? Also, while I'm at it, has anyone had good luck with any other glues for risers that can be bought at Lowes such as Titebond II ? I am out of smooth-on epoxy and hate to invest 30 bucks just for a riser experiment. I'm a tight wad. Thanks, Kirby

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Riser length changing poundage?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 10:45:00 AM »
Pat B suggested weld wood which can be bought at about any home supply store. He said the stuff he uses is a two part and alot cheaper than smooth on. and can be air cured. might check it out.

Don't know any thing about your other question all I have built is boo backed or selfbows.
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 02:14:00 PM »
tb if the limb length stays the same the poundage will increase with a shorter riser. Olympic style bows indicate about 2-4 lbs per 2 inch change in riser length so that could be a starting point.
But his bow will remain steady, and his hands will be skillful; because of the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,  (Genesis 49:24 [NETfree])

Offline traditional beagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 02:58:00 PM »
Thanks, I will check this epoxy out. And as for the limbs, I am going to be using the same limbs. Just thought it might be neat to switch to a shorter bow for hunting out of a ground blind. Wouldn't cost me anything except a little time.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 04:32:00 PM »
The Weldwood Plastic Resin is a dry powder that you add water to make the glue. It is a urea glue very similar to Urac. I have used it on backed bows with no failures.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Pennsyltuckey pete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 07:00:00 PM »
Just be carefull when building the new riser.  You will have to have the exact same mounting geometry on the risers otherwise the limbs will be out of square with each other and subject to twisting during the draw.

I think It would be easier to make a shorter set of limbs that are properly tillered on the existing riser.

Just my $.02. Good luck which ever way you go.!

pete
Love one woman, Many Bows

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©