Author Topic: Tillering help on bamboo-IPE  (Read 420 times)

Offline SOS

• Trad Bowhunter
Tillering help on bamboo-IPE
« on: July 17, 2010, 11:00:00 AM »
Finally got my first bamboo backed bow on the string and as you can see it is, in my mom's old terminology, "katy-whoomp-us".  Please offer advice on where to go on the upper limb (right) to get it bending.  Wasn't sure if I should keep scraping the whole limb or concentrate on one section more than others.  Thanks for your help before I go whacking away at it.  Steve

Current tiller

Unstrung before roughing out the riser.

Offline walkabout

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tillering help on bamboo-IPE
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 11:04:00 AM »
it looks to me like the portion just about halfway in from the end needs scraped to allow your reflex to bend like the left limb is. inner limb looks fine, you just need to get the outer half of the limb moving a bit more. looks good though.
Richard

Offline SOS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 02:53:00 PM »
Thanks Richard....so take 10 or so scrapes of the middle third of the limb, exercise it, then string it up.  Then repeat until it gets close to the same shape and bend.  Then start working them down to target weight together?  I do like the way the lower limb is looking.  Steve

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 04:16:00 PM »
I would slowly remove a little wood where it is circled. Do maybe 7 - 8 scrapes, then recheck on the tree. Otherwise it looks sweet.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 04:20:00 PM »
Also check out this thread and make yourself a tillering gizmo. It works great.

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=000075

Offline walkabout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 05:56:00 PM »
yep the area roy outlined was right where i was referring to. the other limb draws out the reflex but the right one doesnt so careful scraping until it comes around. id put a mark to indicate where you want to localize your scraping so you don't end up with hinges. the tillering gizmo roy linked also will help, and it can be made as simple as drilling a block of wood and pushing a pencil through.
Richard

Offline SOS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2010, 07:01:00 PM »
Thanks, I thought scraping mid-limb and maybe a little toward the tip was right but this is my first bamboo backed bow, with a little R/D to boot.  Better to ask than be sorry!  I can't wait to get them bending evenly, then I can start moving in on final draw weight.  Cheers, Steve

p.s.  Will the tillering gizmo work on an R/D bow or only on a straight limbed bow?

Offline walkabout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2010, 07:51:00 PM »
the r/d design will allow use of the tillering gizmo. as you can see from the other limb, once braced it looks like the normal profile of any straight limbed bow more or less. some r/d keep their reflex alot until drawn almost full length, however on your bow the other limb is already bending so it would only help to even it out. hope this makes sense.lol
Richard

Offline SOS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2010, 09:21:00 PM »
Now we got it in the ball park. Much better - but idiot me took the pictures backwards from earlier....
Here it is strung and pulled to 10 inches.

Time to go slow and work down to the low 40's is my target.

Thanks for your input....

Offline walkabout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2010, 11:20:00 PM »
looks much better. remember too that you can use thinning the limb width to help get closer to weight and better tiller. helps when you got limbs that are looking thin. tillering gizmo will help alot now, since it can show you areas that you cant see sometimes. in the bottom pic the right limb looks stiff toward the tips and the left limb looks like its bending pretty well out of the fades or a bit from there so be careful of them.
Richard

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2010, 11:30:00 PM »
I was thinking the same thing as Richard, looks a bit stiff yet on right limb in the botom pic. I would give it a few swipes in the last 1/3 of the limb and maybe two or three scrapes in the 1/4 at the fade.
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2010, 01:20:00 PM »
Much better Steve!
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2010, 08:42:00 AM »
I have a bamboo backed osage and elm that looks like that at long string. I used some scrap from around the shop and some shipping slats KennyM sent. I didnt mic them out well enough I guess and the tiller is WAY off. I may revisit this project now. Maybe there is hope.
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©