Author Topic: finish over Testors enamel?  (Read 369 times)

Offline John Cooper

• Trad Bowhunter
finish over Testors enamel?
« on: July 17, 2010, 11:57:00 PM »
Hello!

I'm finishing out a bow using Formby's Tung Oil.  After three coats wiped on and steel wool, I did some lettering with Testor's Enamel (metallic green and silver).  I didn't know what to do to keep the lettering (especially the silver) from running when I do several more coats.  When I crest with silver, I use a poly-acrylic just over the cresting then several more coats of poly-urethane.  What's the best way on a bow?

Thanks for your help!
~John

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: finish over Testors enamel?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 01:55:00 AM »
John-

I do the same thing over the lettering on my bows. Just like on your arrows, there needs to be a layer of finish over the lettering to protect the paint from the solvents in the additional coats of bow finish. Especialy the metalic paint, it seems to run easier than the other colors.

I spray two coats over lettering before I put the last coats on, just to be sure.
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 12:15:00 PM »
Is there a pen that can be used to letter a bow over dark wood like walnut/purpleheart. maybe white,yellow,gold??? What do you guys use
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline John Cooper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 03:32:00 PM »
Thanks for your advice, Keith.  I just wasn't sure that the tung oil would adhere well to the poly-acrylic.  Two coats seems like a good insurance policy.  :)

James, I use an 8/0 size brush and Testors enamel sold just about everywhere in the same aisle as the plastic model kits.  If you have a Hobby Lobby, Michael's, or JoAnne Fabrics in your area, that'll be a good place to find both brushes and the paints. I haven't been able to find any paint pens I really like.

~John

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 04:14:00 PM »
Pics, pics, pics, pics,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and pics
US ARMY 1984-1988

Offline John Cooper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 08:45:00 PM »
lol, Terry.  I'm not at home or I'd take a pic now.  I didn't know Manlaw applied in this circumstance.  You'll see it soon enough...

oh, and on a totally different note and not to get your hopes up, I broke the other HBI. :`( I'm thinking too much pressure with the spring clamps.  It was out to 55#@20".

~John

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©