Author Topic: selfbow layout tips?  (Read 991 times)

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: selfbow layout tips?
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2010, 12:03:00 AM »
this is what i do.
use a combination of the centering tool, and your eye, and some common sense-get a workable center line.
then on some card i draw the tapered shape - fade to tip in the dimensions i want, with a straight centerline drawn.
then down the centerline , every 2cm- or 3/4 inch i punch tiny holes about 2mm in diameter.
then starting at the fades, i lay the centerline of the pattern on the snakey centerline of the bow, using the holes to find the line on the bow, working from one hole to the next(obviously one hole at a time!!)then as i line up the hole , i simply mark the side profile of the template onto the bow, then i move to the next hole, line it up, and mark, smooth out the line, by hand. done.
the whole process is quicker than it has taken me to explain here- and extremely accurate- no geusswork.
i keep the patterns , and can use them over and over.
patterns only take a few minutes to make.
if this explanation is garbled, i will take some pics, and post them tomorrow.

to be super accurate-
 1.i draw lines perpendicular to the centerline passing through the punched holes- this enables me to mark exactly opposite the hole, as the pattern snakes up the bow.
2. you can also make a little pencil dots up the centerline of the bow, every 2cm- matching the spacing on the pattern of course- then you can just line up the pattern holes with the dots.
the biggest risk with this system, is that the pattern can kinda slip up or down the bow, while you are snaking it up the bow- that will lead to inaccuracy.
the dots prevent any slippage!!
hope this helps.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©