3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Is It That Much Difference ? 40 to 45 #  (Read 522 times)

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
Is It That Much Difference ? 40 to 45 #
« on: February 13, 2008, 01:54:00 PM »
From 40 lbs. to 45 lbs., on the same length bow,

60" or 62" with a 450 gr. to 475 gr.  Arrow. Will it make that much difference when it comes to;

1 Arrow penetration

2 FPS,

3 Trajectory

Is it actually that much to worry about, or will it make that much of a difference to go to 45# versus 40#

Thanks

Carl
--------------------------
 Heb.13:5-6

Offline Larry247

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Is It That Much Difference ? 40 to 45 #
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 02:15:00 PM »
I don't think it makes that much. I think i'm going to drop one of my bows from 46# to 40# due to back problems. I'll probably shoot the same arrows at 450grn if i can get by with it.
A trophy is in the eye of the beholder.

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 02:39:00 PM »
Well, all other things being equal, I would say "yes". Out of the same bow design, parasitic loss would be close to equal, so it's a theoretical 12.5% gain in energy. If you can handle it comfortably, who wouldn't take an 12.5% gain in energy?

Now, if you can't handle it comfortably (meaning not as accurate)...your three criteria won't make any difference because you will be less likely to connect with the intended target.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 11:54:00 AM »
Thanks guys,

I was curious if there is that much of a difference, to merit going up 5 lbs., I am dealing with some back and strength issues.

Some have told me that 45 # in one bow may draw easier in another bow.  So I have been going back and forth between custom and mass production.  And I'm sure there's a difference in those, because mass production never gets their poundage right.

Thank you again

Carl

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 01:42:00 PM »
Going from 40 to 45# is a 12.5% increase.. Would a 12.5% increase in your salary make a difference at home?
Years ago we use to figure 1 yard of usable trajectory per # of bow weight.. That is a bit ambiguous, but 12.5% increase in anything is significant
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 01:56:00 PM »
You are talking 8to 10fps differance in arrow speed.Sure there will be an energy difference but what it means will depend on what you really need.As long as you have enough to shoot two holes in the things you hunt enough is enough.There is only one definition of dead I know about.  ;)  I have been shooting bows right at the 45lb range for the last several years with 2" wide broadheads.This year I used a 40lb longbow.The only differance was I used a 1 9/16th wide broadhead instead od the 2" wide one.The arrow was stuck in the ground about the same depth when I shot through my deer.5 more lbs of bow weight would not really have changed anything.jmo
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 03:21:00 PM »
At what yardage would you feel comfortable with that 40 lb. bow for the maximum distance for the maximum efficiency.  I would think that 30 yd. would be OK, but when we get to that distance with a lower poundage bow, we're talking maximum accuracy !

Since you've had some experience shooting the
45 #and 40 lb. tell me about your yardage experiences.

Thank you

Carl

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2008, 03:46:00 PM »
In 35 years of bowhunting with wheel bows and trad bows I have taken exactly 6 shots 30yds and over.5 of them have been with trad bows in the 45lb range.I recovered all 6 animals but 95% of all my shots are usually 15 to 20 yards.At that distance I can shoot about any arrow weight and still make a good shot so bow weight is not really that important.I hunt thick places and having a little arch in my arrow does not hinder me any.  :)

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2008, 04:24:00 PM »
Thanks James

I was just talking with Dan from Montana Bows "whip" bows, and boy he set me straight on distance, with low poundage bows.  Taking into account tree limbs, and if it is open shot, no problem with a 50 yd. shot, proper arrow, and accuracy.

Dan is a great person, he is really is customer oriented.  He makes you feel like you are the only customer he has.  He's very patient and knowledgeable.

Thanks again for your information, and I do have to agree with you from 1974, until now I have only taken one-shot over 30 yd. and that was a 32 yd. shot.  All the rest have been 10yd. - 20yd.

There sure is a wealth of knowledge in the people on this site also, great bunch of guys.

Thanks again James

Pastor Carl

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2008, 07:05:00 PM »
It's not true that mass produced bows aren't correct on their poundage.  Some are off, but most are rather close.  Some are notorious for being a little higher than marked, but overall it isn't an issue as I see it.  I've shot a lot of factory bows in forty-couple years and most of them were at or very near the marked poundage.

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2008, 07:20:00 PM »
I am like you.A couple of pounds either way really makes no difference to me.If you are buying a production bow most places will weigh them for you.Say you wanted one a little lighter or heavier than marked they will send you that one.Mt buddy shoots Martins and gets the dealer to pick one on the light side for him instead of on the heavy side.Am AMO 45lb bow can be 43 or 47lbs and still be in spec for a 45lb bow.Most times it is just a case of asking.  :)

Offline jrchambers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2008, 07:37:00 PM »
you should also consider that in some areas a 40lb bow is sublegal for some game, where the 45 wouldnt.  and as far as tragectory, as the draw weight increases shouldnt your arow weight, to keep all your bows shooting around the same speed and tragectory,  i like 185 to 177 considering tunning

Offline Dave Worden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2008, 08:05:00 PM »
JC hit the big issue on the nose.  If you are near your limit for pulling and holding a bow at 40 lbs, 45 lbs could be a killer.  Obviously a 45 lb bow should shoot faster, flatter, etc. than a 40, but if you can't hold it comfortably it won't matter because you won't be sticking what you want to stick.
"If I was afraid of a challenge, I'd put sights on my bow!"

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2008, 08:43:00 PM »
You don't have quite the quality in manufactured bow, but I do have to agree there are some nice ones out there.  And for those that can't afford custom ones, it's a good way to go  But now that I have had 2 custom bow, I think it would be a step backwards for me to go to a manufactured one.  I've been talking with someone about my back troubles as far as the poundage that I would be comfortable with.  Out of the ones that I'm talking with either by phone or e-mail there is a consensus, we are focusing on no more than 43 #, but I'll have to see.  I can get at a pretty good price a Bear Montana ($280.00)NEW, but I'm not interested at this point.

I think that I am settling on what I want, but I just have to wait a while.  

The best, is worth waiting for.><>

Carl

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2008, 09:37:00 AM »
ttt

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2008, 10:13:00 AM »
I agree with JC, we are not talikng a couple of pounds here. which would be two, we are talking 5#s. There is quite a bit of difference in performance. 12-13% is a lot when comparing the differnce in penetration and such. Shawn
Shawn

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2008, 01:53:00 PM »
Hi Shawn,

Well I traded the Turkey Creek Longbow you shot in New York, the one that Doug maked for his daughter, I have a soft heart for daughters, she's goong to have one just like her father.  I traded for a Kohannah Fury Extreme 62" 47#@28, so it's going to be 50 lbs. for me at 29", I definitely have to see on that one.

But what I've been debating back and forth with is I am ordering a "Whip", and I was talking with Dan about it, and he recommended a 43# to compromise.  And I think that's where I'm going to keep it, I don't know if that three extra pounds will make the difference.  And I do know that some states that I might hunt in, may have a limit of 45#, I know that Minnesota just came down to 30 lbs.,

I think it is all a matter of strengthening, the going from 40 to 45, it would be a bigger difference, and then you think about 43# to 45#, and we be almost split hairs !

I sure wish I could go up to Dan's shop, that would be an education.

Thank you all for being patient with me, and taken the time to set me straight.

Pastor Carl

Offline JohnV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2008, 02:06:00 PM »
Dropping from 45 to 40 pounds is a lot more significant than dropping from 60 pounds back to 55 pounds.  40 pounds is getting pretty marginal for a lot of hunting...especially anything bigger than a deer.  40 pounds may not give an exit hole on a deer shot out of a treestand with a steep downward angle.  45 pounds would be heck of a lot better if you can handle the weight.  Anyone hunting big game with a bow this light had better make sure they have properly matched arrows and only use a cut on contact two blade head to achieve maximum penetration.
Proud Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2008, 02:18:00 PM »
In my 30 plus years of hunting I have only taken one-shot over 30 yd. and that was at 32 yd. at a waterhole, I understand what you mean, there are quite a few that would not step into the woods with a 40 pounder, to some that would be the same thing as hunting a grizzly bears with a 22 caliber.  Being a perfectionist, it gets me in trouble sometimes.  I passed up on two 8 pointers because I knew my limitations, and there was only a 5 yd. difference on 1 of them.  That's all a part of traditional hunting, knowing your limitations, and not falling victim to the expectations.

Placing an arrow in paper, is a whole lot different than placing an arrow on a live animal.  But I appreciate your comments.

Pastor Carl

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2008, 03:53:00 PM »
At 3#s you are splitting hairs, but at five pounds you are not, if ya said 43-45#s I would of said it makes little differenc as that is 2#s,  which is around 5% but 12-13% is big, to me anyway. Shawn
Shawn

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©