Author Topic: Harbor Freight sander  (Read 455 times)

Offline Don Armstrong

• Trad Bowhunter
Harbor Freight sander
« on: July 21, 2010, 10:36:00 PM »
Harbor Freight had a 4"X36" sander on sale for 59.99 so I bought one today. I have a spindle sander but needed something to do some things my spindle sander won't do. I am thinking about a 40 grit belt on the belt and 40 grit on the disc. What brand would be good to get and does 40 grit sound about right for bow building. Don

Offline fish n chicks

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Harbor Freight sander
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 10:50:00 PM »
Just about any kind of brand would be fine. But the one thing you gotta have in your shop if you don't already is one of those abrasive cleaning sticks. They look like giant erasers that you run across your disc or belt and bam new surface! They're only like 8-10 bucks for a stick that should last you three years if you're not a cabinet maker. And i'd say go with 60-80. You'll be taking off some material fast with 40 and that may not be what you want.

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 03:33:00 AM »
If you use a lot of sand paper and belts/discs try Industral Abrasives, great prices..........James
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 08:40:00 AM »
I use a 36 grit belt on my sander, you can vary the pressure you put on a piece being sanded to slow down the cutting action.

Look up barbkat on the auction site, best price and selection of belts. I get 6x48 belts from her for about $3 each shipped.

Offline ChristopherO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 10:10:00 AM »
Agreed that BarbKat has great prices on the 4"x36" belts and the disks purchased in the past.  I emailed Barb this past spring to inquire about 6"x89" sanding belts but she does not carry stock that big.  Then the last time I emailed BarbKat about other sanding supplies she did not answer back so I went with Supergrit.com.  Their prices are pretty good, as well, but you will need at least a $25.00 order.

Offline Don Armstrong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 11:19:00 AM »
Thanks guys, I will get in touch with barbkat.

fish and chicks, I have one of those. They work great on my spindle sander. You can get 10 times the life of your discs if you use the cleaning stick. Don

Offline Sam Harper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 11:54:00 AM »
I've gotten some good belts on ****.  I use 40 grit for pretty much everything.  Like Eric said, you can vary the pressure.

You don't need one of those rubber things to clean your belts.  An old shoe with a rubber sole will do the same thing and not cost you anything.

When I got my belt sander from Harbor Freight, the rollers were slightly higher than the flat part, which created a dish, which made it impossible to sand anything flat.  I fixed that by using Barge cement to glue on a piece of that hard cork/cardboard like stuff they make clipboards out of.
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2010, 12:14:00 PM »
I have the same sander, not the most powerful but works well, I had to adjust the pully on mine as it rubbed and slowed it down. I made a edge sander out of mine..
US ARMY 1984-1988

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©