3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Skin'n bunnies?  (Read 659 times)

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Skin'n bunnies?
« on: February 13, 2008, 04:03:00 PM »
There is a couple of days left to bunny hunt here in Indiana. Haven't had a chance to do any this year. Have never shot one before but cleaned one for the neighbors the other day. Took me forever! Figure there is a qiuck easy way. Would like to be able to keep the fur thought. Does the Tradgang DVD tell how? Being a lady, some might consider me a bit handicapped but I always have enjoyed a challenge!
  :biglaugh:
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Offline Recurve50LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Skin'n bunnies?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 04:08:00 PM »
b.glass,

There is a how to section on the Trad Gang DVD on how to skin and clean rabbits. It is very fast and easy to do. I did my first rabbit using that technique shown on the DVD. I was amazed at how simple it was for me. Check out the DVD and try it on a rabbit.

Larry
Turkey Creek Longbow
62" 45# @ 28"

Thunder Stick Mag
56" 45# @ 28"

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 04:32:00 PM »
cut ( or tear with your teeth[or tooth]) a hole in the middle of the back; tear off the skin from there. Takes about a ten seconds; then cut the head off; cut the belly open without cutting the gut. Grab the front end of the bunny and swing it through the air like your batting one out of the stadium. rest is common sense   :saywhat:
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline BMOELLER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 05:45:00 PM »
A quick way to get the guts out so you don't have to carry the weight all day is to start squeezing at the rib cage and keep going down the body until its real tight then press the rabbit against your thigh.  Aim the rear end away from you and then mash it. The guts and intestines will shoot out the back end. Now just give it a shake and the guts will break free.

Now you dont have to carry that extra weight.  I saw it on a rabbit hunting video a long time ago.
2009 Kansas State ASA Traditional Champion

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 05:52:00 PM »
Yep, that technique I show on the DVD has been handed down for generations of rabbit hunters in my family. No kiddin, I can shuck a rabbit bout as fast as most folks can peel a bannana   ;)
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 06:04:00 PM »
Yup, I am with JC, ya can also peel the skin off from shoulders back, break the back at the shoulders and pull towards hind end, ya get the back loins and hind legs this way, the only thing worth keeping anyway. Shawn
Shawn

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2008, 06:14:00 PM »
Thats pretty much how I do it Shawn.I don't even gut them.I have heard of the squeeze idea but havn't tried it
Shoot straight and have FUN!!

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2008, 05:28:00 AM »
I also just save the back legs and loins, if there warm you don't even need a knife to skin them. I pull their skin off make a small slit in the stomach, grab them by the head, then swing them over head and down towards the ground, centrifugal force will do the gutting. Then i cut them in half behind the ribs, split the pelvis to get the rest of their guts out, cut off the hind feet, then rinse them off. Soak them overnight in saltwater then eat or freeze. I also wear plastic or rubber gloves when cleaning all game, just a good idea.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Flinttim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2008, 06:46:00 AM »
Bona, what part of IN are you in  ? We don't have rabbits down here, only the ones in town. I think I killed the last rabbit in Jennings County 6 years ago. Sure would like to get their populations back enough to hunt 'em before I pass this earth.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline blueslfb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2008, 07:16:00 AM »
I saw this the other day and you all may find this interesting.  Have not seen how they do it on the Tradgang DVD but I thought this looked like an easy way to clean a rabbit. Try this link

www.mucc.org/mood/rabbit/index.php

Some of you may have already seen this but for those that have not its cool.

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2008, 07:43:00 AM »
Don't hunt wabbits much but a buddy showed me years back a very unique way to clean them. It involves a pressure washer! If you use the local car wash expect to be asked not to come back! But the home variety works well as I watched him do it. Just get the bunnies to swallow tip and hit the water, aim wabbits a$$ in prefered direction and he'll be clean quicker than you can say wholy $chnit! All thats left is to pull of the fur/skin and your done.
hunt it

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2008, 07:44:00 AM »
The above described metheod probablly would not look good on a Trad Gang DVD!   :biglaugh:
hunt it

Offline B4NZ41

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2008, 09:29:00 AM »
If you do try and skin one, be sure you don't leave it out in the wind. >:-(  lol

Before

After

Anyone else attempt to keep the bunny skins? I'm not sure what you'd even do with it because it's so flimsy.

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2008, 12:53:00 PM »
Flinttim,
   I live in the east/central part of the state. Grant Co. You have a pretty good deer population though don't you? I want to hunt Scott Co. I need to get my butt in gear and get it checked out!
B4NZ41,
   I salted the skin I had, folded it skin to skin, wrapped it in newspaper and had to neighbors freeze it until I could find out how to tan it. The primitive gatherings have them for sale all the time so I know someone tans them. I thought I would ask the local 4-H people. Only thing is I guess I shouldn't have used iodized salt. I have an address for some people who can weave them into a blanket...somewhere.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2008, 01:05:00 PM »
Too much waste in that rabbit skinning method     :biglaugh:      
Waste not, want not  
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Drew

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2008, 01:14:00 PM »
Bglass don't salt the hide if your going to freeze it.  It you salt the hide, just keep it in a cool place. As a trapper I use this place to tan some hides that I keep.
 http://www.usafoxx.com/fur-tan-mfg.htm

I'm like Ron, I use all the rabbit only takes a few minutes to peel the hide off a warm rabbit and gut.
Just a Coyote Soul out wandering...

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2008, 01:53:00 PM »
This has been informative and fun. Thanks, to all who have responded!
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Flinttim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2008, 05:35:00 PM »
I'm  with Ron LaClair on this one.Seems like a lot of wild game gets wasted due to hunter "expediency".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Dan Chamberlain

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2008, 05:44:00 PM »
I don't know.  He kept the front legs, the rear leq quarters and the back straps.  All he tossed was the ribs and neck. And the beagles should get something!

Dan

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2008, 06:04:00 PM »
I don't know. He kept the front legs, the rear leq quarters and the back straps. All he tossed was the ribs and neck. And the beagles should get something!

In the video it looks like he gives the front legs to the dogs. Why would he pull them off otherwise? As for the beagles getting something, I'll give my dog a bite or two when it's cooked. I've known guys that would give the guts to their dogs, good way to give them a tape worm or other parasites.
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©